Forgot that I need wireless for internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfries

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Hey everyone,

I just finished buying up all the parts and pieces for my first home build and I realized that I need a wireless card to pick up the internet at my house. I am unable to get a ethernet cable from my Modem/router to my computer without running a 75 ft cable through the house. As a result I need a wireless card and I have no idea what I am looking at or what I should be for. Advice would be helpful.

My Build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2MRs

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

Solution
Hope you enjoy your new build!

There are a couple of considerations. I do think you'll be happier with a wireless card as opposed to a USB dongle.

Wireless N can run at up to 300Mbps, which is pretty much guaranteed to be faster than the pipe coming into your house (most cable in the US is less than 20Mbps).

The good news as far as wireless networking cards is that most if not all are wireless b/g/n, and will default to the highest speed supported by your router. If you're within 75' of the router your signal will be strong.

Decide if you need a PCI or PCI Express interface, and go from there.

My personal preference is for Dlink cards...

If you take the time to plan a route to run the wire you would be surprised how easy it is to run the cable in your house and not see it. If I can connect with cable that is what I do and I use wireless as a last resort or for the laptop when I want the freedom of taking it anywhere in the house. Much better useing the cable for sure.

phensen

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hope you enjoy your new build!

There are a couple of considerations. I do think you'll be happier with a wireless card as opposed to a USB dongle.

Wireless N can run at up to 300Mbps, which is pretty much guaranteed to be faster than the pipe coming into your house (most cable in the US is less than 20Mbps).

The good news as far as wireless networking cards is that most if not all are wireless b/g/n, and will default to the highest speed supported by your router. If you're within 75' of the router your signal will be strong.

Decide if you need a PCI or PCI Express interface, and go from there.

My personal preference is for Dlink cards...

Solution

tigerfries

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

Thank you for your input, I think this is the route I'll be going down. Thank you everyone for your input!!

Status
Not open for further replies.