GTX 580 Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shogunlogun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hey all, I just bought a GTX 580 3076 mb card from Newegg and had a quick question. So I run dxdiag to see all the info on the card and at the Approx. Total Memory line it says 2736 MB, I thought this card had 3072??? Am I missing something or is this normal? I also have a brand new z68 board so I don't think that could be it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

shogunlogun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Ok, I jsut checked Nvidia Control Panel and am getting...

Total Available Graphics Memory: 6870mb
Dedicated Video Memory: 3072 GDDR5
System Video Memory: 0
Shared System Memory: 3798

So, it looks like it's showing up I think. What's system video memory? Thanks for your help by the way.

If you had an integrated graphics chip it would likely have a chunk of system RAM dedicated to it, thats the system video memory, with a much larger chunk that it can share(shared system memory), since you card has stuff onboard it doesnt need to have any of the much slower system RAM to be dedicated to it hence the zero on that line, the shared system video memory is probably your free ram at the moment which in theory the card could use but in practice never will.

shogunlogun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Alrighty, thanks again hunter. I downloaded GPU-Z just to double check it and it's all good. Also, thanks for the explanation on what the system video memory is all about. :) Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.