Upgrade or buy everything new

iklim

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Hello,
i have been wondering if i should just upgrade my computer or buy a new one from scratch.its
m4a77td pro motherboard
amd phenom iix2 545 unlocked phenom x4 3.5ghz
im using stock cooler..very hot when on games-69 degrees idle 50-58..maybe i buy cooler
sapphire hd6670 ddr5 1gb - if upgrade ill buy a 7870 when its out
cm elite 460 ps -
2x2 kingston ddr3 . my case is a mini tower cm elite 545 . ok! thank you!

randomkid

Distinguished
Your PC is fine & you are lucky with that unlocked 545. Its definitely a keeper.
Yes, buy a cooler. A cooler master hyper 212 is a no brainer. Aprt from keeping your processor cooler, you might be able to push the OC a little more.
Yes, buy the 7870 but only if you play on a 1920x1080 monitor resolution or higher...
If at anything lower, just keep the hd 6670 until you upgrade your monitor.

cooler: coolermaster hyper 212 evo
before you upgrade your gfx card or.. right now,
psu: corsair builder cx 500 v2 or seasonic s12ii 520w or antec neo eco 520w
is this your psu?
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Elite-Power-460-W-Power-Supply-Review/1005
other than that, it should work for a little longer. you can upgrade your full system to an ivy bridge/sandy bridge/piledriver pc later this year. by that time, nvidia's new kepler cards will be out, may be 7870 prices will come down due to competition. drivers should be more mature as well. your current 6670 is a good enough gfx card.

iklim

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
yes thats my psu...i play games at 1080p...the coolermaster hyper 212 evo wont fit on my case.and i need to take out the motherboard to install an aftermarket :(..hmm...if i upgrade i need a new psu,case large enough for 7870 and the cooler, like that id rather buy everything from scratch..if from scratch, should i reuse the cpu?hmm..

randomkid

Distinguished

If you do not like to take out your motherboard from the case, you can buy a Xigmatek HDT-SD964 or HDT-S963 which installs just like a stock AMD cooler. It does not perform as good as a hyper 212 but it is a way around removing your motherboard from the case. Unfortunately it is out of stock in newegg but perhaps available elsewhere...

gbmike

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I'm with you iklim, if I'm replacing that much I'd just go with a new build. As far as keeping your chip, do you have any use for a second/backup machine or are you going to tear it apart regardless?

iklim

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

im not sure if i want to reuse the chip..i think if im building a new rig ill just start from scratch. not tearing the current build..so i have no use for the current one