Sign in with
Your question

Something weird in my PSU, please help!

Last response: in Components
March 7, 2012 10:14:25 AM

Hey everyone,

Just recieved a (new) Corsair AX850 from amazon, and when taking it out of its packaging I had a look through the fan grill and noticed a whole lot of what I can only describe as some kind of thick white goop all over the inside of it. At first I though it might be some kind of thermal paste, but there seemed no rhyme or reason to it, it was just all over the place, including the walls, sides of capacitors, over the pcb, etc. Is this just a really really sloppy job by corsair, or is something horribly wrong?

Thanks in advance everyone....really hope its not another busted PSU =(. would make the third broken one in a row from corsair, not impressed.

More about : weird psu

a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 10:23:27 AM

Can you post a picture?

If it were me, I would return it. I can't imagine what you might be looking at.
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 10:27:50 AM

Hello seaside_hermit;

See if you can find any reviews of that model that show the internal layout.
If you can't find a matching condition in the reviews you're probably right to be concerned.
Related resources
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 10:28:51 AM

Also - Corsair has pretty good customer service.
Give them a call and see if they can figure out what's up with that PSU.
March 7, 2012 10:46:46 AM

Thanks for the fast replies guys, really appreciate it! Yeah thats what I was having a look at WR2, if you look in the bottom picture, the white stuff thats on the blue wires next to the coil? it looks like that, but its EVERYWHERE. I just tried taking a picture, but its next to impossible :( . These should hopefully give you some idea though

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67876446@N05/sets/72157629...
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 10:58:18 AM

I can see a few review pics that look like it might be similiar condition

a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 10:59:53 AM

seaside_hermit said:
Thanks for the fast replies guys, really appreciate it! Yeah thats what I was having a look at WR2, if you look in the bottom picture, the white stuff thats on the blue wires next to the coil? it looks like that, but its EVERYWHERE. I just tried taking a picture, but its next to impossible :( . These should hopefully give you some idea though

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67876446@N05/sets/72157629...

its just insulation and dampening gel,its supposed to be there
March 7, 2012 11:07:50 AM

yeah Im coming to the same conclusion from looking at those other pictures. was just worried it would cause a short etc as it was connecting a bunch of capacitors, n I had no idea if it was conductive or not :D . after a quick search it looks like it might be there to stop coil whine as well which would be awesome, that was the reason I returned my last AX850 lol. thanks for all the help guys, really really appreciate it :) 
!