Win2k Disk Mgmt Tool won't let me partition new dr

G

I just installed a new 20Gb IDE Maxtor as a second drive and I want to partition it. However, when I right click on the partition the Disk Management tool doesn't not bring up a "Create Partition" or an equivalent so that I can partition that new drive.

The first thing that I did was use FDISK to create an extended DOS partition (the drive shows up as F:) then went into windows to format it as NTFS (took the defaults). That is, once I was inside windows the drive show up in explorer but when I clicked on the drive, the OS stated that it wasn't formatted and offered to format it for me. So, I proceed with the defaults.

I'm logged in as Admin (w/admin rights of course) and I'm connected to a home network -actually an IDSN Lan Modem Hub.

Could somebody tell me just what the heck is going on without Partition Magic being a suggested solution? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

G

If you used Fdisk to create an extended partition, then you created a primary partition as well? (you can not do the former without the latter). Just because it's a second drive does not mean you only put an extended partition. Every physical drive requires a primary partition. So maybe you created one primary partition? Thus it was already partitioned when you entered Win2k. Why do you partition it with Disk Management?

>>That is, once I was inside windows the drive show up in explorer but when I clicked on the drive, the OS stated that it wasn't formatted and offered to format it for me. So, I proceed with the defaults.<<

So did you proceed with the NTFS format?

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

>> So maybe you created one primary partition?
It's possible being since that it was the first time that I used FDISK before. However, I distinctly remember selecting "Create an Extended DOS Partition". But like you said it's possible that I did it after I accidentally created the primary.

>> Why do you partition it with Disk Management?
No reason really. I didn't have any data on it to begin with and I know that FDISK can be scary in such cases but mainly I was just messing around.

>> So did you proceed with the NTFS format?
Yep!

So what are the logical steps if I want to repartition the drive without using 3rd Party Software? Can I just delete the partition and run FDISK on it again? How should I have done it in the first place?

G

well if you see the drive as separate drive partitions.. that would indicate you did create primary and extended..if you see it as one.. it is just a primary. Either way, you just need to create one primary partition. (whether it's NTFS or FAT32)

You have multiple options.
You can delete the extended and primary (if that's the case) in Windows 2000 Disk Managment snap-in tool. (I believe you can) and repartion with one primary.. then format.

You can use fdisk to remove any Non-DOS partitions and you could repartion it as one primary partition. Format it. You could later convert it to NTFS in Win2k if you wanted to, which doesn't take long.

Or you could even do it through Win2k boot disk. (don't do that though :)

G

and when using fdisk (since I can't seem to edit my posts). Make sure the current fixed disk is the correct one. Use option 5 to change that. The fixed disk represents the actual hard drive not the individual partitions.