$900 gaming/photoshop system

jessemeh

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm currently saving up for a new system, and starting to come up with a list of parts. I've built a PC before, but it was when I was a freshman in high school, and now I'm 27, so... it's been a while, and a LOT has changed in the world of PCs since then. Reading the forums on here has been really helpful.

Approximate Purchase Date: 4-8 weeks from now (Diablo 3!)

Budget Range: 900-ish, after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, light photoshop work (not professional, just a hobby), web, music

Parts Not Required: I need everything except speakers (been using cheapo laptops for the last decade)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: intel CPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: not into flashy LED’s and such. I’d like an understated mATX case, with components that can play the latest games on decent settings, and will be able to play games a few years from now on low-to-medium settings. I know prices/availability/rebates etc will change between now and the purchase date, but I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea for now.

This is what I have in mind so far. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated!

Case: fractal design arc mini
CPU: intel core i5-2500
Mobo: MSI mATX
GPU: XFX 6870
Memory: G skill 2x4gb (says designed for p67, will it work on the h67 mobo I selected?)
hd: hitachi 500Gb 3Gb/s SATA (I'd like to go for the 6Gb/s, but HD prices right now are scary. Or would I even notice the difference?)
PSU: seasonic 520 bronze (520W with 40A on the 12V rail should be sufficient, correct?)
Optical: any, there's lots on newegg for under 20 bucks
Monitor: de-branded HP (thinking of going with a de-branded monitor. Anything wrong with that?)
Mouse/keyboard: gonna go cheapo on these for now... im thinking $25-30 total

This all adds up to just over $900 after rebates and shipping.

Thanks again for your input!