Tags:
  • ASrock
  • NAS / RAID
  • SSD
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 11, 2013 9:03:36 PM

Hello,

Recently purchased an Asrock 79 Extreme. It comes with 4 SATA2 ports and 5 SATA3.
I wanted to setup an SSD OS drive plus 2 data drives in RAID 1 (the SSD would not be in RAID -- this is how I have configured previous machines).

The MoBo suggests keeping the boot drive in SATA3_0-1 or SATA2_0-3

However, if
SATA3_0 has the SSD and SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 have the data drives, I cannot set RAID (can't access Intel Raid setup)

or if
SATA2_0 has the SSD and SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 have the data drives, then the SSD cannot be recognized / used as the boot drive.

Any suggestions as to how to set up the cables to make this work?
Thanks!

More about : asrock extreme6 sata conflict raid

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 11:00:19 AM

You can connect the data drives to ports SATA2_0 and SATA2_1, and the SSD to SATA3_0. The HDDs will not perform any better on SATA3 than they will on SATA2.

During Windows installation the SSD will initially not be shown. At that point you will have to load the Intel RAID driver. After that the SSD should be recognized and you can continue Windows installation (presuming your are using Windows).
January 15, 2013 1:34:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had done this, however Win7 for some reason does not want to install (even after loading the updated RAID drivers).
Any thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 2:41:46 PM

actually, it was a simple hurdle, of deleting the partitions, and creating a new disk and formatting it. --- Definitely a Duh moment :) 

Thanks again for the input, spot on!
m
l
January 15, 2013 2:41:47 PM

Best answer selected by selas.
m
l
!