CPU runs on 60% or higher even not an application is Open

rorouni

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
Could you help explain to me, why my processor run on 40% or higher even on Boost stage after i used my laptop in for an hour
i always notice on my ready boost gadget that it is always on boost stage.

my proccesor specs

Intel core i5-480 M 2.66 GHz
ready boost cache up to 2.93 Ghz

i also hear that my fan is consistently running on speed as if i was playing a game

can you guys explain to me?
why my proccesor is needing such speed even i was just surfing the net,..

thanks

Solution
Open Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc)
Select 'Processes' tab
Select 'Show processes from all users'
Click on the CPU heading to list highest cpu usage at the top
Note the culprit with highest CPU usage

Once you've done that look up the whatever.exe online to see if it's trouble

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Open Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc)
Select 'Processes' tab
Select 'Show processes from all users'
Click on the CPU heading to list highest cpu usage at the top
Note the culprit with highest CPU usage

Once you've done that look up the whatever.exe online to see if it's trouble

Solution

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
you might have some programes running at startup
got to start type in the search box "msconfig" and enter
then click on the startup tab and untick all the programs that you dont need but leave the ones like "microsoft something" or "intel something" and the apply and reboot, it should be better now.
if it still doesn't work, then backup all your files and do a factory reset or reinstall windows

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

the i5-480m is NOT outdated at all and is a decent mobile cpu although it is a model that tends to be a bit hot.
his cpu fan is not dead as the op already said they were just running at a high rpm, though it might be just his air vent/fan is clogged up with dust, he should see and clean it then it will run cooler which results in a drop in noise level

rorouni

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
ei guys,, some suggestions i already done,,and some are not, i will try out your other options to see wether my situations is about, but i thinks this is not about virus.. maybe i would pick something like for cooling problem/airvent and something like that...

trial and error a you said...

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Congratulations, it's a virus.

svchost.exe is a common place on how virus tend to disguise themselves.

Run some light antivirus app for first treatment, something like ANSAV, Norman Malware Remover or something like that that does not require installing. After that, you can decide yourself whether or not a full antivirus software is needed.

rorouni

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
ei guys, i tried all your suggestions but i didnt find any virus on my system... anyone of you know about the UPnP service? thiing fix does work. i disabled it thus this thing causes the svchost.exe to make my CPU run wild at 99%...

this is what i did..

1. when my CPU is at high. i open up task mnager and on processes tab i click on show processes from all users

2. then i see there that svchost is at the top. then i right click on it and go to services.

3. then on the windows that appeared i find out some highlighted services. one of them is the upnp host service.. tried to stop and start them 1 by 1

4, then when i stop the upnp host service, my CPU usage suddenly drop.. then i disabled this process to keep this from starting from boot up..

5. before i did that i research the web for some risk that would cause system break down.. just a precaution...

this migh help for some.. for others kindly give some comments for this action.. thanks..

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

i used to have this exact problem with oem computers, but i have never had this problem with computers that i personally done a fresh oem-crap-free install of windows, but this problem can be solved by doing a factory reinstall, but if you have important stuff on the computer then you will need to backup your files

G

its cool to post your solution and the steps you took, not many do.

it looks like the uPnP service is for looking for shared devices on a network; printers, scanners and such. if your not on a network then it is unnecessary to run it. maybe thats why it was going all flonky, looking for something that wasn't there . . .