Which better i7 2600k or i7 3820 for gaming

The question you are asking is that if you select the Intel® Core™ i7-3820 would you get better gaming performance from the video card(s) you are running in gaming environment? The answer is yes but it is going to be a very small performance increase if you are running an SLI or Xfire based system. In reality you would get better value and performance if you went with a Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and a better video card(s) in a gaming system.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
if your planning to use 3 or more video cards then the 3820 is a no-brainer
but if your not get the 2500k/2600k which would perform the same if not better if you overclock, most of the do 4.5ghz+ no problem

As with many PC related questions, the answer is "It depends"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

But now that LGA 2011 has arrived, there's certainly an argument to be made for it as the ultimate gaming platform. LGA 2011-based CPUs have more available cache and as many as two more execution cores than the flagship LGA 1155 models. Additionally, more bandwidth is delivered through a quad-channel memory controller. And with 40 lanes of third-gen PCIe connectivity available from Sandy Bridge-E-based processors, the platform natively supports two x16 and one x8 slot, or one x16 and three x8 slots, alleviating potential bottlenecks in three- and four-way CrossFire or SLI configurations.

Although they sound impressive, those advantages don't necessarily translate into significant performance gains in modern titles. Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge machines.

Where we do see the potential for Sandy Bridge-E to drive additional performance is in processor-bound games like World of Warcraft or the multiplayer component of Battlefield 3. If you're running a three- or four-way array of graphics cards already, there's a good chance that you already own more than enough rendering muscle. An overclocked Core i7-3960X or 3930K could help the rest of your platform catch up to an insanely powerful arrangement of GPUs.

Yep. Unless you want the performance of well...NASA. The Core I5 2500K or the Core i7 2600K is a better choice. and Overclock super well. Plus Graphic performance more depends on the Graphics card you have combined it with

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

3820 is not a k processor, only a extra 6 bins of turbo and fsb oc is allowed
plus both processor perform about the same unless in senarios where memory bandwith really matters and thats where the 3820 really excels with its quad channel support

G

randomkid

Distinguished

Your processor is fine. Its the video card that you need to upgrade...
It's best if you create your own thread on this so people can give you the best advise without hi-jacking this thread.

steve7

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Lol, I'm still on a stock clocked Q9450 and 8GB of RAM along side an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470. It's still pretty good and runs pretty much everything I throw at it. But I have that damn itch to upgrade, I love building PC's :D