Will these two brands of RAM be compatible?

They should work at 2.1v and 5-5-5-18 timings. If the current modules already require 2.1v (the maximum for the G.Skill modules), you may have to loosen the timings a bit. The G.Skill modules have slightly better specs and they require less voltage. Have you considered selling the current kit to buy an 8GB kit?

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I am buying 4 more gbs used just because it's cheaper (40 dollars and an old wrt54gs wireless grouter for the gskills). It's just that ddr2 is so expensive. I would consider it, but I can't imagine what an 8gbs of ddr2 would cost today. Do you know of a place to get reasonably priced ddr2 ram? The price of ddr3 ram is literally killing me :p

Also about the timings. Will loosening the timings make it slower and should I start looking at different ram? I don't know how or how much timings/frequency affect speed.

Also speccy is telling me the current timings are 5 5 5 15 while newegg is saying default should 5 5 5 15. I'm pretty sure I didn't change them in the bios so why are they like that? Anyway in that case 5 5 5 15 should match that of the g skill right? But you said due to the voltages I would have to lower the timings?

Any advice? (sorry for all the nooby questions :()

thanks.

It's just that ddr2 is so expensive. I would consider it, but I can't imagine what an 8gbs of ddr2 would cost today.
They have been expensive for a few years. I paid $330 for the last 16GB that I bought two years ago.
Also about the timings. Will loosening the timings make it slower and should I start looking at different ram? I don't know how or how much timings/frequency affect speed.
You'll never know unless you run benchmarks and then find out that the performance dropped by 0-5%, depending on the benchmark.
Also speccy is telling me the current timings are 5 5 5 15 while newegg is saying default should 5 5 5 15. I'm pretty sure I didn't change them in the bios so why are they like that? Anyway in that case 5 5 5 15 should match that of the g skill right? But you said due to the voltages I would have to lower the timings?
You need to lower the timings, e.g., 5-5-5-18, 6-6-6-24 only if you have issues. My DDR2-800 16GB kit runs fine at 5-5-5-15 and 1.9v instead of the default 1.8v. You are using DDR2-1066; getting 4 modules stable may be a bit more difficult because they are overclocked.

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks. Why would it be more difficult to run stable? Would I be better off trying to find some of the exact same ocz reaper memory? I just don't know why 1066 would be a problem if they are both 1066. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Also, do you think these would be better than the others:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Skill-4GB-DDR2-1066-Memory-F2-8500CL5D-240pin-2-X-2GB-in-box-/281048946616?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item416fd297b8

Thanks

DDR2 normally is 800 MHz or less; 1066 MHz is overclocked. It's fine when using 2 modules, but getting 4 modules to work reliably may be challenging. That's why you probably won't find any 4 module 1066 MHz kit. I'm not saying that it won't work, but it most likely won't run at the rated speed, voltage and frequency. Both G.Skill kits basically have the same specs. They should work fine at 5-5-5-15 at 1.85v and 800 MHz. Start from those settings and then see how fast you can get them to run reliably.