Closed

Blank screen after Nvidia driver update, help please.

Hello everyone,

I finally finished building my system today and had no problems at all until I installed the latest Nvidia graphics driver onto my MSI Nvidia GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II. After I installed the latest graphics driver from Nvidia, my computer will boot up and I could hear the initial windows sound (the one at the login screen), but the screen is blank and the only thing I could see is my mouse, which I could move around.

My system specs,

MOBO : Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68
RAM : G.skill 8gb 1600
GPU : MSI Geforce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II 1gb
PSU : Corsair 650HX

I tried installing an older Nvidia graphics driver but that didn't work either. One thing I do notice is that when I move my mouse to the left side, it keeps going "somewhere" and I could pull it back, thus I think it as something to do with split screen. I can't really disable split screen (if it is enabled) since I can't see anything but my mouse.

I installed all essential Windows update, installed drivers for my MOBO, and switched out my old DVI adapter with the one that came with the MSI GPU. One thing I wanted to try was to update the GPU Bios but I'm quite inexperienced in that matter.

Anyone have any solutions to this? I googled and couldn't find much on this issue.

Also, the only way to get back to normal is to go into safe-mode, remove Nvidia drivers, and than restart.

Thanks,

Louis
5 answers Last reply
More about blank screen nvidia driver update please
  1. Try changing the card into a different slot.
  2. Fixed the issue! There are a good amount of people who are having the same issue as myself and I believe this would be beneficial for some (not all).

Few things I did,

- Changed slots from top to bottom (didn't solve the problem)
    - disabled multi-monitor in bios (didn't solve the problem)

Not being able to solve the problem, I decided to do an additional Google search on the issue on hand and found something interesting. Someone was able to type in his password and log-in to his Windows even though his screen was blank. I tried the same thing and I was able to log in and my wallpaper appeared before me but still no icons or docks. So I came to the conclusion that this was a dual/split screen issue, thus I right clicked and went into my screen settings, and guess what? Dual/split screen is enabled by default and I was able to disable it, now everything is going smooth as cream cheese on bagel.

This took 3 hours :( and I thought my GPU was faulty but i'm glad that was not the case.
  3. Try installing the previous drivers you had, and it will be solved for sure...!
  4. Glad to hear that. :)
  5. Chirag Borawake said:
    Try installing the previous drivers you had, and it will be solved for sure...!

It's a new custom build, so there are no previous drivers installed but I did try older drivers that Nvidia released and they produced the same result. Btw, you posted this without reading that I found a solution heh...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia Graphics