Sign in with
Your question

POSTing issues with new motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2013 1:09:38 AM

So I just got a new ASUS motherboard for my system (asus m5a99fxPro R2.0), plugged it in and had some issues.

I can honestly say that this is my first mobo upgrade or change ever, so this could be a very obvious and easy fix. I don't know.

I plugged the mobo in, got the computer turned on, and waited for a boot.
It displayed the "starting windows" screen for a few seconds then reset.
I decided it wasn't a great idea to hope for this thing to just work, so I opened up the BIOS when prompted. Couldn't find much in the way of helping me out, so I googled it. Found out I would have to reinstall or fix windows to get the drivers. So I plugged in my USB stick with windows 7 ult. on it, changed load order so it could boot from the installation stick. It then says "windows is loading files" as a normal windows update would, then boots up the installation screen. Choose my language and all, and I say "repair my computer" instead of install. Windows searches for problems, finds nothing.

Any help would be great!

Don't know if I will need this, but specs:
MOBO:ASUS m5A99fx pro r2.0
RAM: 8gb g-skill ripjaws
CPU:amd phenom ii x4
GPU:Amd radeon HD
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 1:19:17 AM

You'll need to reformat the drive and re-install Windows
m
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 1:21:32 AM

the issue is you have old drivers installed from the other mb and windows is trying to load them at start up. try using f8 safe mode. go in and uninstall the video card drivers and then under system device manager remove everything there thta you can then let windows reboot and reinstall the mb drivers.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 1:31:06 AM

SchizTech said:
You'll need to reformat the drive and re-install Windows

Alright, that is fine with me, but how would I go about doing that without an OS to work with?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2013 1:34:38 AM

You said you had the install on a USB stick. You need to do a fresh install.
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 1:35:21 AM

Boot from the USB stick and select "Install." Though it's worth a shot to try to boot into safe mode as smorzio suggested. Can you get a menu by repeatedly hitting F8 at bootup? Select Safe mode from that menu and see if you can load that. If so you can attempt repairs in there (uninstall conflicting drivers) before trying to reboot in normal mode.

A full re-install is the method most assured of working without complications though. Note that you will lose any information on the drive by re-installing (formatting deletes all info on the drive)
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:56:18 AM

SchizTech said:
Boot from the USB stick and select "Install." Though it's worth a shot to try to boot into safe mode as smorzio suggested. Can you get a menu by repeatedly hitting F8 at bootup? Select Safe mode from that menu and see if you can load that. If so you can attempt repairs in there (uninstall conflicting drivers) before trying to reboot in normal mode.

A full re-install is the method most assured of working without complications though. Note that you will lose any information on the drive by re-installing (formatting deletes all info on the drive)

I did try to boot in safe mode. It crashed (without displaying errors) and booted up to windows installation again.

And I just tried to install windows again, and Right away an error message appears: "Windows cannot open the required file E:\Sources\install.wim. Make sure the all the files are required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code:0x8007000d" and I know it is fairly apparent on what I should have to do, but I looked and made sure every single file that was on real install the disk is on the USB stick and they all match up. No files (as far as I can tell) are missing

m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 2:05:50 AM

What disk did you use to create that USB stick? Was it a proper Windows installation disk or a Windows startup repair disk? I quickly googled that error and saw that error happen when people tried to install from a startup repair disk.
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:14:26 AM

SchizTech said:
What disk did you use to create that USB stick? Was it a proper Windows installation disk or a Windows startup repair disk? I quickly googled that error and saw that error happen when people tried to install from a startup repair disk.

I'm fairly sure it was a installation disk. I got the .img virtual disk from my university and it said it was windows 7 ultimate. I just set up the USB stick to use because I can't mount that virtual disk without an os.
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 2:19:17 AM

Perhaps the USB stick is corrupted. Can you re-set the USB the way you did at first?
Also, what USB port are you using? Have you tried different ports? It's also possible there's a problem with that stick and you might try a different USB stick with the Windows installer set up altogether.
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:34:43 AM

SchizTech said:
Perhaps the USB stick is corrupted. Can you re-set the USB the way you did at first?
Also, what USB port are you using? Have you tried different ports? It's also possible there's a problem with that stick and you might try a different USB stick with the Windows installer set up altogether.

I might have to just reset it.
And I have tried every port on the computer. USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

Thanks for all the help!
m
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2013 9:37:22 AM

the windows cd or install should be a .iso at the end not a .img. you may have to open the img file up or uncompressed it.
if you have a vaild oem key then try download windows 7 iso.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-of...
the use the windows iso to usb tool.
m
l
January 12, 2013 11:29:32 PM

smorizio said:
the windows cd or install should be a .iso at the end not a .img. you may have to open the img file up or uncompressed it.
if you have a vaild oem key then try download windows 7 iso.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-of...
the use the windows iso to usb tool.

Got the new install on to the USB stick now, and I made it past my last error.
Now it is saying ,"a required cd/dvd driver is missing..."
:( 
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:14:18 PM

"A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVDm or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note. If the windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step."
Is actually the whole message.
m
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 13, 2013 5:25:52 PM

put in the asus mb driver cd into the cd and point windows installer to the driver folder on the cd.
m
l
January 13, 2013 7:57:33 PM

smorizio said:
put in the asus mb driver cd into the cd and point windows installer to the driver folder on the cd.

I have the windows installer up, and I am looking for required drivers on my mobo disk. I have searched through every folder on there, and every time it finds a driver, I continue with the installation, and it says "no new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media"

m
l
!