AnandTech Reviews

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Reviews
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 7, 2012 5:48:25 PM

Their reviews of cases vary soooo much that it's almost impossible to draw a solid conclusion. In one comparison the Rosewill Thor V2 is amazing and a top case. In another, the FT02 is, another the RV03 is, then Thermaltakes Level 10GT, the Cosmos II, I mean how is this possible?

Why is so hard to prove that one case is better at cooling than another case? I have been looking for the best air cooling case for weeks now and it's ridiculous how there is absolutely no way a winner.

More about : anandtech reviews

a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 6:47:37 PM

Not really, they could all be similar enough as to make no difference, you've got a certain amount of frontage and fan sizes to work with.

Silent PC Review were good but very quiet now (no pun intended).

It should be quite simple, 3-4 constant heat sources at wattages that represent components on a mock mobo, and then you can see when it hits steady state, and at what temp it hits steady state. This would then be a constant test (not transferrable into real world results), but certainly able to compare case to case. Say a 100W source for the processor (with a HSF) a 200W source for the GPU (in a dummy GPU chassis), a 20W heat source for other mobo components and maybe 2x5W heat sources for HDDs.

Set the fans up, let it run until a constant temp or 50C is reached, 50C is a fail, lowest constant is best. Or figure out how many watts it can take before constant is above n Deg C, but this is less understandable and with multiple sources not as good.
March 7, 2012 7:47:50 PM

^ You would need to hold a constant room temperature during all this testing too, a few degrees difference in room temperature can make a big difference in results.

Honestly though it's not that hard to tell what cases would have good air flow and which don't you can only fit so many vents/fans on a case, and those with more tend to cool better. You won't find a wide variance in operating temps between 2 similar cases.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 8:21:35 PM

or you could measure a delta, within a window of 15 to 25 ambient the delta should work. Better than the subjective testing that most sites do.
March 7, 2012 8:26:36 PM

I appreciate the explaining on how to make a consistant test. But unfortunately, I still can't find the "best" air cooling case!

I am stuck between these cases:

Rosewill Thor V2, Silverstone FT02B-W, Thermaltake Level 10GT, and HAF X.

All those seem to win air cooling tests.

All those seem to fit SLi GTX 570 setups easily as well.

So what I did was do individual research to find the most constant winner and that doesn't happen!
a c 111 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 11:34:59 PM

Will you watercool?
March 8, 2012 12:16:07 PM

Nope, looking to air cool only.
March 9, 2012 3:50:03 PM

Your probably not going to find a good result to a question like what is the best air cooling case. Different setups can yield different results when it comes to cooling, I even did an article to show just moving components or fans around in a system gives different results for motherboard and GPU temps.

Your best bet in answering your question is how you put it at the last thread, list a few cases and get opinions.

As far as those listed I have only reviewed the TT Level 10 GT and it should suit you just fine, I had an SLI with two GTX 460 but the cards have Accelero XTREME Plus coolers which makes them about 11 inches long and dual slots to say the least. I had no problems with the case cooling well below required temps and had no problems fitting a Noctua NH-D14 in there. Besides it looks awesome.

My review of the Snow Edition of that case can be found here.
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 6:42:40 PM

ChrisUlrich said:
Their reviews of cases vary soooo much that it's almost impossible to draw a solid conclusion. In one comparison the Rosewill Thor V2 is amazing and a top case. In another, the FT02 is, another the RV03 is, then Thermaltakes Level 10GT, the Cosmos II, I mean how is this possible?

Why is so hard to prove that one case is better at cooling than another case? I have been looking for the best air cooling case for weeks now and it's ridiculous how there is absolutely no way a winner.

1. cases don't cool, fans and proper air flow do. i can take case X that comes with no fans and create great airflow with a few after market fans. i can take the same case with pre-installed fans into every port and have bad airflow.

2. cases are mostly about looks, just get the case you think looks best. the difference in cases at equal price points is so miniscule.
March 9, 2012 6:45:46 PM

dirtyferret said:
1. cases don't cool, fans and proper air flow do. i can take case X that comes with no fans and create great airflow with a few after market fans. i can take the same case with pre-installed fans into every port and have bad airflow.

2. cases are mostly about looks, just get the case you think looks best. the difference in cases at equal price points is so miniscule.

I hate to sound so negative, but can you show me what you mean somehow? I'd like to see you make the Rosewill Thor V2 be the best air cooling fan based on your theory. Because if that's the case, i'd get the Rosewill Thor V2 White Edition in a heartbeat.
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 7:28:37 PM

1. here is an article on proper case air flow and fan placement, it's a good read

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-coo...

2. let's look at two cases; first - the Thor V2 and second - the cooler master HAF 932. both are the same price and full ATX towers

lets look at the Thor V2 fan placement
1 x Rear 140mm Fan
230mm Fans
1 x Front 230mm Red LED Fan (with LED on/off switch)
1 x Top 230mm Fan
1 x Side 230mm Fan

and now the HAF 932
1 x 140mm rear fan
230mm Fans
1 x 230mm front red LED fan
1 x 230mm top fan
1 x 230mm side fan

....so one offers something better then the other in cooling? maybe the rosewill fans run slower then the cooler master maybe they run faster but air flow design wise how is one case offering what the other is not? im sure the case with the faster fans cools better but what to stop you from upgrading the slower case with after market fans?

if you like the Thor v2, get it. cooling wont be an issue.
!