How important is the motherboard?

locoman

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I'm going to upgrade my computer with a new motherboard/CPU/memory combo, and I have a hard limit of $300 on amazon.com to do it. I'm in Venezuela, for legal reasons can't increase the limit or buy elsewhere, I could buy local but would mean paying more than 3 times the price for it. Other places don't let me ship to an US address with a venezuelan credit card (I'm using a courier service for shipping), and paypal is blocked for international purchases.

So, starting with the RAM, I'm looking at this:

Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - $ 39,99

So that roughly leaves me $260 for motherboard and CPU. This is where the question comes into play. The main resource intensive task I'm going to use it for is gaming (secondary video editing and 3D animation), so going with this site's guide I'm deciding between two choices.

i3-2120 - $128
i5-2400 - $190

So that's why I'm asking how much would the choice of motherboard affect me. The i3 is obviously slower, but it'll leave me enough money left to buy a Z68 based motherboard like the ASRock Z68 Pro3 or the Gigabyte Z68A D3H, while going for the i5 would leave me with a faster CPU but barely enough money for some of the cheapest Motherboards (looking at the ASRock H61M-VS, Gigabyte H61M-DS2 or Biostar H61MGC, between $50 and $60 each).

BTW, if it makes any difference, I'm using it with a nvidia GTX 590 video card I got last year.

ali2837

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
do you want to overclock, sli, ssd cache or use sata 3, if so a z68 mobo leaves room for future expansion like ssds which will be otherwise bottlenecked

try and find a good bundle deal

Within your limits I would look at the Intel® Core™ i3-2120 and the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 gen3 board. That should be right at your budget limit without going over. Also if you want to upgrade in the future you should be well set up to upgrade to a faster processor or better video card.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team