slader166

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Okay guys, I've already spent around $200 So it's more of a $600 build.
(I already bought:
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600w
ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb 1600mhz, Switched from Kingston 4gb 1600mhz Ram
Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD Burner
Case: CM Storm Enforcer)

So im leaning towards Intel because it seems more reliable than Amd. :sweat: (Started a fanwar) Lol
I get $300 on Christmas and $300 on my B-day in March.
Any ideas on GPU, Mobo, CPU, CPU Cooler?
I was thinking about on Christmas get Mobo/CPU/CPU Cooler.
On B-day get HDD/GPU.

Solution
+1 for:
* AMD PhII x4 955 BE (should OC to 3.8-4.0 without voltage adjustments) or FX 4100 would be good too. Both CPU's fit the same socket set, if you got with AM3+ based mobo.
* 8 gb's DDR3, which I think the OP has already bought.
* AM3+ based mobo <---most are better equipped than intel mobo's for the $.
* GTX 560 Ti or even a AMD 6950 2gb <--- Could possibly unlock to 6970.

Now this recommendation would only be for a week or two and will change as time of purchase is delayed. If your buying after Christmas than you might be fine with these options, but if you wait and buy all of the parts in March (which I'd recommend buying all of your parts at the same time), everything recommended here will definitely be different. By buying...

slader166

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
z68 supports more features.

Intel is not more reliable than amd. Intel DOES however have a market advantage right now. the i5 2500k is hard to beat. Get it or be destroyed. Interesting to note your building a pc on the verge of 2 die shrinks.

28nm video cards and 22nm intel cpu's. If you have any current equipment to substitute for one of those I would suggest waiting for that technology as well. Your z68 motherboard can fit 22nm ivy bridge chips AND 32nm sandybridge, so no worries there.

This is perfect since you are waiting for half of your build until march. By then 28nm video cards will be out and by april we will see 22nm CPU's. The best thing for you to do may be to get a 32nm i5 2500k processor now with a z68 motherboard and use your current GPU if you have one. When your Bday rolls around, get a ridiculously awesome 28nm video card and in a year if you have some spare change you can upgrade to ivy bridge (22nm cpu).

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Since your going the intel route which is a very smart and standard thing to do this year, know that you will be forced to get a cpu cooler. AMD actually makes a decent heatsink, intel does not even bother. If you overclock at all you will need an aftermarket heatsink. If you do not overclock with a 2500k then you are doing it severely wrong.

You will want to make sure that if you get a massive CPU cooler that it does not conflict with the height of your memory layout. What i mean is, if those fancy memories your buying have those neat looking heat spreaders on top, know that they will most likely run into your cpu cooler. Get ones with short spreaders or none at all. They dont need them.

Get the Hyper 212+ at $20 it's hard to beat
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1240995-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB002G1YPH0

As for GPU, as stated, the new AMD GPUs come out in Q4 of this year so sometime around this time or the start of Q1 2012 so just wait for that. The Nvidia competition won't come out till later Q2 2012ish

For the CPU go with the 2500k it'll be great and yes the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 is probably your best bang for the buck motherboard.

There is no point going with a top end cpu like the 2500k for a budget gaming build to play BF3 , WOW or even Skyrim

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/14/
compare the performance of the FX4100 and Phenom to the 2600K

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

Save the $100 on the processor and spend it on a better graphics card . Its totally wasted on the cpu if all you are doing is gaming
Also no point in fitting 8 gig of RAM when you are on a budget .There will be NO performance increase for a gamer

So
FX 4100
970 or 990 chipset AM3+ mb
2 x2 gig of RAM
The most powerful graphics card you can afford

slader166

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
would games be playable with this build,
i3 2100
asrock z68 extreme3 gen3
gtx 550 ti?
i'm thinking that it would be cheaper to upgrade to a high end 500 series card
around holiday/2012 because by then 600 series will be out and then 500 series cards will be alot cheaper.

also it would be cheaper if i went with an i3 then upgrade to i5 when ivy bridge comes
out.

slader166

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

go to anandtech.com and compare the 955 to i5 2500k and then you will see the diffrence in gaming. :)

slader166

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

im choosing to stick with intel because bulldozer didn't live up to everybody's expectations.
amd also stated that it wont be intel vs amd anymore, its just intel.

^ That statement is very debateable.

Bulldozer didn't live up to expectations because it was though to be against the Sandy Bridge chips, BD was intended to be up against the older i7/i5s not the new ones since that was when BD started development.

As for the AMD vs Intel, debateable. AMD could catchup, Intel is great, no doubt, but at the lower end, AMD is a bit better.

slader166

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

okay i admit, i have to agree to you.

When you compare the two cpu's with a top end card , on a relatively low resolution monitor and older games as anandtech do the intel produces higher frame rates .

That , however is meaningless since most people are playing on 1080p monitors , and the newer games are more graphically demanding then the situation is different .
Try reading the links I posted above . The $100 +dollars yo save by going AMD can be spent on a better graphics card and that will result in a benefit for gaming where the more expensive intel cpu will not.

Its also smart to keep in mind that conventional LCD monitors refresh at 60 Hz . Thats 60 times per second or 60 FPS .
If you build a computer that produces higher frame rates you have just wasted money because the monitor can never actually display those frames . Even when the intel does make 100fps and the 955 only makes 80 fps there will be NO difference in user experience

The 955 is a great CPU no doubt, it'll do just fine. I'm using it now to play BF3 and honestly you probably wouldn't notice any change. But IMO I like reaching high clocks, the 955 does it by getting to 4ghz (barely) but the 2500K can overclock so much more and perform so much better in CPU related apps if you ever use them. Personally I use PS5 and LR3 a lot so I'd benefit from it, but are you going to?

It all comes down to usage, you can go with the 955 and pretty much get Gaming done, the 2500K is pretty sweet for the overall performance, but as you can see is about $100 more.

slader166

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
do you really think i should go with amd?
i mean, i don't care has long as it plays newer games at high playable fps.
so which amd cpu would you recommend for budget gaming?
and which intel would you recommend for budget gaming?

Well if you're going with the 2500K, no doubt intel. AMD is just an option if you'd like to save but still get decent FPS.

As for between those 2 builds, go with the AMD one, Get this motherboard instead and save more money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262
You'll save $20 for similar capabilities, so that gives you $220 for the GPU allowing for a 560 Ti.

As for posting, try to use the Edit button next time instead of triple posting.

Emelth

Distinguished
Hold on if he isnt getting the GPU till his birthday (march) why not just save the money up till you can buy the whole thing instead of putting it together piece by piece. New parts will come out by the time your birthday comes around.

I have a 955 with only 30% consumption on skyrim, it's really bad how little it takes. I would'nt go too much on the CPU. Only about 50% on Battlefield 3 on ultra 2048 x 1152. My graphics is a 5850 saffire toxic. It is just overkill for most games and got both the CPU and GPU for under $100 with future piledriver upgrade avaliblity. Oh and I believe that BD is ok but will start becoming really good in a few years when multi-threading is more common and the architecture is more mature.(piledriver?) I mean it was meant to be scaleble as it uses modules.