nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hey all,

I was just wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade my current 4x2GB DDR3 1600 to 2x8GB DDR3 1866 RAM, or not. I mostly use this PC for gaming. Thing is, I also currently have mixed RAM kits, so I do occasionally get random screen "freezes", and LOTS of freezing at start-up. Pretty sure this is a RAM issue (probably caused by mixed kits...), but I'm not 100% sure. I figure if I'm going to get new RAM to fix this issue (if it's the RAM that's causing this), I may as well upgrade.

Anyone know if this really is a RAM issue or not? And is it worth the upgrade? I.e. any overall performance increase (basic browsing, program launches, etc.), or FPS gains in-game? Just wondering, I don't think it really will but I'm not 100% sure. Would be nice to see some insight from some more experienced people :)

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, I also livestream sometimes. Would more RAM (at a higher frequency) help increase FPS at all in livestreaming? Not sure if Livestreaming even uses more RAM and such etc. Thanks!

Solution
There probably won't be any performance improvement going up to 16GB nor a higher frequency (unless you are gaming on a system with an AMD APU or an LGA 775 CPU), but if the mixed kits are the cause of your problems, then getting a good 2x4GB kit should solve them.
There probably won't be any performance improvement going up to 16GB nor a higher frequency (unless you are gaming on a system with an AMD APU or an LGA 775 CPU), but if the mixed kits are the cause of your problems, then getting a good 2x4GB kit should solve them.

Solution

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Ah ok, well I'm not sure if all that freezing and stuff is due to the mixed kits or not.. xD I'm just assuming, I'm still kind of fuzzy on the area of RAM.. And also, I forgot to mention that I livestream a bit too sometimes. Would more RAM help FPS or anything in that kind of situation? Or no?

TRENDING THREADS