Problem getting 120 hz on Samsung monitor with 560ti

Tristate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Hey all.

I've recently purchased a Samsung monitor (a S27A950D) which can display 120hz. Now i've installed all the drivers that came along the screen and it should(!) work fine, but i CANT seem to get 120 hz from hit. I've tried the Nvidia control panel, the Windows control panel and nothing shows any option over 60hz. Im using a Dual Link DVI cable so it's not the cable, i've even tried two of them.
The wierd thing is that when i look in the Nvidia control panel, under connector it says "HDMI", even when i have plugged it in via DL DVI. That's why im starting to think this is Nvidia related, and also driver related.
Too bad it dont have any displayport connection on my graphics card, and HDMI doesnt support 120 hz so i can only try the DVI type.

I've uploaded a pic to tinypic from the nvidia control panel to show you how its showing "HDMI" even whem im using a DVI cable. (FYI i also have a Sony TV plugged in to my HDMI output on the graphics card but that shouldnt really affect this):
http://i54.tinypic.com/27yvpkn.jpg

Currently im using a 560ti 1GB (driver 285.38, the beta ones for BF3) on a Windows 7 x64 machine.

I've now contacted Samsung, Microsoft, the retailer, and tried 3 forums with NO luck. I really hope you guys can help me.

Thanks!

/Tristate

Tristate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Haha REALLY ? Not Anyone who can answer this ? Tried 6 forums and 4 companies now. Soon im calling Chuck Norris.

Let's start with unplugging the Sony TV. This is going to force the GPU to see the monitor as the only display peripheral attached. Let's work on getting it to run without it being confused with HDMI.

Once you have just the monitor plugged in, roll back the driver to latest stable driver. The 285 is still a beta driver, and may have issues with monitor setups.

Once you do that, try to see if you can get it to 120Hz, then worry about getting the sony hooked up.

im honestly suprised anyone came in to help you after 4 hours you said this......

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Just gonna take a shot in the dark here, but is it hooked up with a dual link DVI cable? HDMI can't output 1080p @ 120hz because it doesn't have enough bandwith. there are some ways around it but for a true 1080P @ 120hz you need to use dispay port or Dual-link DVI.

Tristate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I actually tried both what itzdanielp and jamie_1318. Sry, i didnt meant to be rude with what i wrote, im just pretty frustrated.

I have removed the sony tv and i've used a DL DVI, as i stated in my first post.

Tristate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I rolled back to 285.28 and it didnt help, even when i try to create a custom res. (1080p @ 120hz) it still doesnt work, the monitor just goes black and then goes back to 60 after a while.

I tried to plug it in to my brother computer (9800GTX, Win XP) and he could actually create a custom profile and run 120hz. ALTHOUGH the panel on the OSD on the screen still showed 60hz! Thats pretty wierd, we didnt test any games or anything and i couldnt really tell any difference from 60 hz even if it showed 120hz in his nvidia control panel.

Can it really be the monitor ? :S

Tristate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Actually they couldnt answer anything, useless support. They just said things like "have you tried a DL DVI cable?"

Oh peeeleeeez. :/

Kari

Splendid
and you are using a DL DVI output on the card? Though I'm not aware of any 560tis that might have a single link dvi output, doesn't mean it's impossible...

if there are 2 dvi outs on the card, have you tried the other one as well?

edit is it still recognising it as hdmi connection?

I noticed the part that showed HDMI was a drop down menu. Are you able to select DVI from that drop down menu? For my 120hz monitor, I've done it through Windows advanced options under the Screen resolution window.

I have also had inconsistent issues when using 120hz and a 2nd monitor attached.

You might also want to check the spec's of the monitor. It's possible the DVI-I connection is not dual link. It may only offer 120hz through displayport, although that seems unlikely.

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Hold on... is it the Samsung 3D capable without STATING it is Nvidia certified or even capable?
Those Samsung work and utilize best AMD ATI GPU 3D capable and technology. Something that has been stated on Newegg quite a few times. Apparently you can use Nividia 3d googles but you may not be able to use all Nividia 3D capabilities and features.

Tristate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Yes, i should still be able to get 120hz, which i cant get. Now i even tried to fiddle with Powerstrip but i didnt understand half of it, but ever since i installed it i have ton of crosstalking when watching real 3D movies on the computer (half SBS mode).

Anyway, the monitor supports 120hz via the DL DVI and my card has 2 DL DVI outputs.
And no, i cant choose DVI from the connection menu. I tried to plug back my 30 inch 305T and THAT ONE SHOWS DVI!! Its so annoying, its like the graphics card thinks that this display is using a HDMI connection, thus limiting it to 60hz. :S
I really want to keep the display because its so good otherwise regardings blacks and contrast.

Can it be something in the windows registry or something "deep" into the OS ?
I dont really want to have to re-install Windows just because of a display. :/

Tristate

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Checked all of that.

All my brother has to do was to plug it in and create a custom resulotion and he could run 120hz, BUT the screens OSD still said that it was running in 60hz, why ? :S

He's sitting on Win XP and a Nvidia 9800GTX. He didnt enable anything with 3D vision at all.