Sign in with
Your question

Installing new card goes awry

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2011 1:54:04 PM

I recently purchased a Radeon HD 6870 got it in the mail, read up on how to change cards. I first uninstalled the software for the old card, then uninstalled the card its self, turned off the computer, took out the old card, put in the new card, went to boot it up, the computer at this point,smelled smokey i thought, but i couldnt find any signs of smoke, so i kept installed it, let the card boot up, used the cd that came with the card to install the drivers.

At this point i went to watch a movie on my couch with a friend while this was going on, after it installed the new drivers i noticed that my computer wanted to do a disc scan before loading windows, I said sure why not, next thing I know the disc scan is saying "Replacing invalid security id with default security id" it does this for about 30 mins replaces about 30,000 things, I have to wind fixing it, but starting after the invalid security id thing, my card starts showing artificating at the bios screen and and yellow dots when loading windows, plus it wont do a sucessful boot, after a point the pc reboots.

Since this occured, I have reformated windows and reinstalled my old card and send the new one for a replacement because people were telling me I got a DOA card, Newegg is sending me a new one right now.

My current question is, what can I do or should i do to change cards that will keep this mess from happening again, or from my description did I do anything wrong, could it have been only the card??

my system setting are

AZZA Solano 1000R
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
4gb gskill ddr3
Intel Core i7-930
XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w

More about : installing card awry

a c 251 U Graphics card
October 7, 2011 2:54:36 PM

Loading drivers for a new video card only takes a few minuites amd going to watch a movie while it is doing the loading does not sound normal to begin with. What disc did the computer want to scan , and if it was your hdd it was probably because you left the thing hanging while you watched the movie. When you get the new card take out the old one , uninstall the drivers and install the new one and no movie watching.
October 7, 2011 3:00:02 PM

inzone said:
Loading drivers for a new video card only takes a few minuites amd going to watch a movie while it is doing the loading does not sound normal to begin with. What disc did the computer want to scan , and if it was your hdd it was probably because you left the thing hanging while you watched the movie. When you get the new card take out the old one , uninstall the drivers and install the new one and no movie watching.

it only took a few minutes to load the new drivers, and the scan was right before loading windows, said that there was some c driver errors and that it wanted to scan.
Related resources
October 8, 2011 5:31:35 PM

Do I first uninstall the drivers, then uninstall hardware viva device manager, then put in the new card then install the new drivers?
a c 251 U Graphics card
October 8, 2011 7:19:27 PM

I would. Do you have the install disk that comes with the card ? I would use that , then get the latest drivers from the Nvidia site.
October 11, 2011 5:54:12 PM

yes I will have the install disc, the card is here so i would like to install it today after I fix a bad application of thermal compound, so do I need to do anything to the bios or just uninstall the old drivers, hardware then install the new card?
!