GTX 570 Phantom or HD 6970 iceQ turbo 2gb

SwaggeeR

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Hello,

I am currently in the process of building my new set up which is as follows.

nzxt phantom black
650W Antec
Intel i5 2500k
P8P67 Pro B3
8gb Corsair Vengence

I was now wondering if i should go with the gtx 570 phantom or the HIS HD 6970 IceQ Turbo as i am gaming on a 23 inch monitor and want the best bang for my buck. I also read a review that stated you wont have to worry about very high resolutions under 24". In which case i thought maybe the Phantom black however am unsure so need you guys for help!

Thanks.

Thanks.

Jack.

what is your resolution? and do you ever plan on a multiple monitor setup?
If single monitor at 1920x1080 or lower, you wont need the 2gb of VRAM on the 6970, but both cards trade blows in most games, some favoring the 570, and others the 6970. I own a 570, and love it; it runs everything i throw at it.
here a link to a full written review on the 570 with benchmarks so you can compare the two.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/02/14/gainward-geforce-gtx-570-phantom-review/1
I recommend the 570; I have nothing but good to say about my experience with one.

SwaggeeR

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Thanks for the fast reply. I doubt i will ever run dual monitors as it really does not appeal to me. I also am not even sure if i will ever plays at 1080 res so i think the gtx570 may be my card of choice. I have heard they both run good in similar areas also that has what has torn me between the two however the phantom looks out of this world!

yeah and the cooling is crazy neat - ive never seen a gpu like that before. honestly you cant go wrong either way, but i would still push the 570 just for the sake of my experience being so positive with it. I have owned ati in the past, and might again, but the 570 has truly impressed me for the price/performance ratio. Is it cheaper than the 6970? if so that should be a no brainer.

SwaggeeR

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
The gainward 570 Phantom is 10 pounds more coming in at 289 i beleive. I have already placed an order on the Ice Q but may cancel in a few minutes so this is why i'm throwing out these last min questions haha. appreciate it greatly.

either way you will be very happy. they trade blows with each other in benchmarks, and both designs are not reference and will stay nice and cool. ive heard great things about the iceQ style, and havent heard anythign about gainward's style with the 80mm fans. ATI or NVIDIA shouldnt matter to you at this point, because of the resolution you want to play at. Pretty much price would be the main thing i would look at. At the time i bought my 570 it was 60 bux less than the 6970, and thats why i went with it, and i was glad i did. It might be the same situation for you if you choose the 6970 for the price. Alot of people complain about ATI's drivers as opposed to nvidia's. The only negative i could see is the price for the nvidia, but its your wallet, and for the price they both perform about the same.

SwaggeeR

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Ok brilliant i think either one would make me happy as you say as i am upgrading from a current HD 4670, Dual core at 3.2, and 2 gb ddr2 haha. I think either card will blow that away so i think i will have a smile on my face once my system is built.

I have something to think about now at least. I much appreciate you taking the time to post.

Thank you.