IDE RAID Array

G

I'm planning on buying an ATA100 RAID card. I have been considering the ABIT "Hot Rod 100 PCI UDMA100,RAID" card. But I only see info on Promise based cards in the forums. This card is a third of the price of a similar promise card. Is there a reason to avoid it of will it do the same job just for less money?

G

Are you really planning on using the RAID function, or are you just using it for ATA100? If you really need a RAID system that uses IDE, than look at the Promise SuperTrak 100 RAID controller. It has an on-board processor and 16mb of RAM. This will reduce system memory and CPU usage, which can slow your system. If you just need ATA100 function than look into a new motherboard.

G

What RAID config do you want to run?

If RAID 0, 1, or 0+1, get the Promise FastTrak100, otherwise get the SuperTrak mentioned by kn7671 above.

~Weav

G

If you have a 500+Mhz CPU, The Supertrak will not give you any benefit for a 2 drive RAID 0 array or really even a 4 drive RAID 0 array (you would think it would on paper but it's design and the i960 processor just don't get it done). I would suggest this product only for admins who want to set up a cheap RAID 5 array with 4-6 drives.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***