Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Suggestions please!

Last response: in Systems
December 3, 2011 8:57:26 PM

Hello,

First off thanks for taking the time to read my post. I did not know where exactly to post this as my question overlaps with a few topics. Firstly, I was wondering what kind of upgrades I would need to make to my current system to be able to play BF3 and Skyrim on high settings. I realize this question has been asked before, but I'd rather ask on this forum than risk getting jipped by a saleman at a store. Here are my current specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (I believe its a sapphire 5770 to be exact not sure though.)
Resolution: 1680x1050

Also, I am getting drops in fps in sc2 and CoH when a activity gets higher, meaning more units/battles. However, it does so despite what graphics level I am on.

thanks and any help is appreciated.

More about : upgrade suggestions

a b B Homebuilt system
December 3, 2011 9:08:03 PM

That looks pretty decent, I would try to get a slightly better GPU if you can but that still looks OK.

Also bear in mind that if you can get an i3-2100 build for cheaper then go for it because it's actually a bit better than the Phenom for games and can sometimes be cheaper.
m
l
December 3, 2011 9:13:39 PM

thanks for your reply. I would rather not have to rebuild my entire system right now and will take your advice on the gpu upgrade. How high of settings do you think I can achieve on the games listed above? Medium?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 3, 2011 9:24:18 PM

BF3 and Skyrim on high, eh? Recent tests by Tom's have shown that on high for Skyrim you'll get around 60fps with the 5770:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...

BF3 on high is a different matter, about 30 fps which means you'll likely be dipping into frame dropping territory occasionally:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

It looks like for a minimum on BF3 you'll want an HD 6950 or GTX 550ti. However, I believe that is testing with a core i5. So you should be looking at an HD 6970 or GTX 570 for performance on high in BF3. You could OC the 955 to about 3.6 Ghz without any additional voltage, but it can be pushed to 3.8 with good cooling. This should bring the X4 into about the same performance.

Eventually over the next year or two you'll want to save up for a platform upgrade. That is, if playing the latest games on high is important to you. That CPU is about two years old, so this isn't really unreasonable. Also I'll assume over the next couple years you'll be thinking about a monitor upgrade, if you aren't already.
m
l
December 3, 2011 9:29:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. Didn't realize BF3 was so gpu intensive.
m
l
December 3, 2011 9:33:58 PM

Also I know that computer technology progresses rapidly. How long do you think it'll be until the next generation of cards come out and how big of a price drop can I expect from the 500 series and HD 6000 series?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 3, 2011 10:03:41 PM

The HD 7000 and GTX 600 series are due in 1-2 months. I don't think it will be cheaper to get older cards then to be honest, it would be cheaper to get the next gen equivalent. Just like how a HD 6770 is usually cheaper than the HD 5770 now even though the performance is pretty much the same.
m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
December 3, 2011 10:16:39 PM

jkim2421 said:
Also I know that computer technology progresses rapidly. How long do you think it'll be until the next generation of cards come out and how big of a price drop can I expect from the 500 series and HD 6000 series?

Well if you have a 5770, going to the 6770 isn't going to make any difference - it's the exact same GPU.

But if you wanted to get a better GPU I'd recommend the 6950 - it's one of the best GPUs you can buy on the market right now. You should also look at getting an SSD - that will improve the lag dramatically.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 3, 2011 10:22:07 PM

jkim2421 said:

It depends on what kind of stock the GPU makers have on hand. Don't count on price drops for dwindling cards like the HD 6950 2GB or the GTX 460. You could see soem pretty good drops on the high end stuff though. Former flagship cards can drop fairly quickly.

Here's a former flagship that went for $600:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 4, 2011 3:04:47 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Well if you have a 5770, going to the 6770 isn't going to make any difference - it's the exact same GPU.

But if you wanted to get a better GPU I'd recommend the 6950 - it's one of the best GPUs you can buy on the market right now. You should also look at getting an SSD - that will improve the lag dramatically.

A SSD isn't going to help frame rates, it's just going to make loading faster.
m
l
!