POST failure(ASUS p8z68 v Deluxe/Gen3, i7 2700k)

drainbamage13

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I saw a similar thread to this but with the issue being with the DRAM LED.

I built a new PC using the Asus p8z68 deluxe/gen3 and an intel i7 2700k processor. When I go to boot, everything starts up just fine for about a second then the CPU LED comes on, everything stops running for a second, then everything comes back on but the CPU LED light is still lit. I'm not even able to get to the video yet....

I checked all the prongs on the mobo, no problems that I can see and the chip itself looks fine.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here? I'm going to clear the CMOS by pulling the battery for half an hour. After that I'm not quite sure what else it might be...

Any help here would be appreciated.

rstran77

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

I'm having the same exact problem... I have the same MOBO, but a I7 2600k CPU... bench tested in steps to the point where I was just trying to get the diagnostic speaker to beep, nothing.

Did your Q-LEDs show a code? b/c mine wouldn't even light up...

Called ASUS and didn't get very far, first guy (who I could barely understand) said it could be a grounding issue, I don't really know how but w/e... took it all apart and got it down to the point where it was just the MOBO, CPU, CPU water cooler, and diagnostic speaker hooked up and... Red CPU LED, no Q-LED code display, but the fans for the water cooler were running and the pump was humming along...

Second time I called got another person who was a little easier to understand but still not all that clear, she started a RMA for me but then I just told her I'd return to amazon and try again. I sent back to amazon for a replacement, also sent back CPU just in case... gonna try again in a few days when I get replacements.

I see I'm the first to respond and this thread is a few days old... did you have any luck?

eNeutral

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
If you can't get video, nor beeps and you get the dreaded double-fake-boot, your heatsink backplate might be touching the back of the motherboard causing a short. I have a P8Z68-V LE and I had a similar problem. The solution was to use the heatsink's included electrically-neutral plastic spacers between the motherboard and the backplate. That solved it for me.