Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Did I choose a good power supply?

Last response: in Components
March 8, 2012 2:52:03 AM

Hello everyone My name is Preston and I have a Dilemma.

You see I'm building a PC at 14 :)  And was wondering if the power supply and Case I picked are good enough for my system. If you find that my system has some parts that need adjusting please tell me. Here is my system And what a 430 watt power supply has to run.

Case: Coolermaster Elite 430

Power Supply: Corsair CX430

Motherboard: ASrock M3A770DE AM3 Socket

CPU: Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4Ghz

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA 250gb Hard Drive

RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333MHZ (PC3 10666)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

DVD Drive: Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive - 24x, SATA, Black, OEM

The power supply will also be running up to 7 120mm case Fans

Can you tell me if this build is good? Do I need to change anything? Can My power Supply Handle all of this? for a Long period of time like 3 years? Is the case I picked good? that concludes this post please tell me what you think.

Let the ANSWERING BEGIN!!!

a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 3:26:37 AM

If everything is already bought and done, then yes, you've got a good, solid PSU for the system. The CX430 will carry it for a few years, although giving a time frame is impossible because of the overall reliability of all PSU's.

If it doesn't pop due to normal wear and tear then I see no reason why it won't carry this build for 3 years and more.
Score
March 8, 2012 3:36:57 AM

Good because no i haven't bought the CPu but the rest yes :)  it has a 3 year corsair warranty :) What did you think of the build? Is it good? And mainly Is the graphics card i picked good?
Score
Related resources
a c 1200 ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 4:00:22 AM

For a system using a single GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is electrically borderline sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce 8800 GTX. This power supply is also deficient by one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector so you'll have to resort to using a dual 4-pin Molex peripheral connector to 6-pin PCI Express adapter power cable usually included in the graphics card package.

There's no spare capacity to handle any overclocking.
Score
March 8, 2012 4:14:17 AM

Wait I have to get a new power supply???? WHy??? because it only has one 6pin connector?
Score
a c 1200 ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 4:19:42 AM

pdizzle said:
Wait I have to get a new power supply???? WHy??? because it only has one 6pin connector?

I didn't say that a new power supply is required because one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector is missing. I said you'll have to resort to using a dual 4-pin Molex peripheral connector to 6-pin PCI Express adapter power cable usually included in the graphics card package.

If you're planning on doing any overclocking then yes you will need a new power supply.
Score
March 8, 2012 4:24:55 AM

no not doing any overclocking
Score
March 8, 2012 6:00:56 AM

Get the next one up..I think its the cx500, then you will be good to go even if you get a better graphics card later. The one you picked will work, but its pretty close to the minimum you require
Score
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 9:40:41 AM

He forgot to mention - he's already bought his Corsair CX430.

@ pdizzle; relax. Your PSU will power your system without any problems at all.
Score
March 8, 2012 9:51:41 AM

FYI Windows 32bit won't detect all your ram, you need 64bit.
7 case fans would be loud and take up a lot of room.
250gb won't last too long either (very easy to fill 250gb in this day and age).
Score

Best solution

a c 139 ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 10:01:26 AM

What model of 8800GTX did you get? And do you know how old it is? (and how much did you pay for it?)

Your CM Elite 430 case is a good one. Cooler Master Elite 430 Case Review. It will handle your next couple builds without a problem.

for a Long period of time like 3 years? Unless that 8800GTX fails and takes out the PSU, or a electrical surge hits it, etc., - you can expect it to give good service probably as long as you own that system.
March 8, 2012 10:08:06 AM

Guys, try not to scare the lad.

As WR2 said, your PSU will be fine. You MAY have to get an adapter for the graphics card if it is not supplied, this is not a worry however as most tech shops will stock these for a few $.

Your graphics card will be fine to play the majority of modern games at average graphics, if you get some cash together in a few years time you could look at updating it but i wouldn't worry.

Score
March 8, 2012 11:31:40 AM

430W is sufficient . It has 3yrs warranty ,so no problem.
Score
March 8, 2012 1:17:32 PM

Yes I did buy the power supply already. Its a nice power supply too then I bought a molex to pci express adapter. The card I'm buying is the 768 mb 8800GTX I think I'm buyIng it for 10$ :)  and a hard drive too 10$ :)  so yeah I'm getting a good deal. I'm not gonna runn all case fans maybe 3-4 I dpnt know exact model of the gtx. So my power supply will power my wholr system And I wont have to get a new one. Thanx everybody :)  about the ram I'm just gonna get 8gb so that solves the problem thn I need to somehow get windows 7 for cheap but dont have any money xcan I buy win 7 off you one of you guys for cheap? Thanx all reply back
Score
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 5:57:40 PM

at those prices its a good deal. You'll still be stuck on 3.2ish GB with a 32Bit OS. I think the 64bit version is the same price generally.
Score
March 8, 2012 11:34:11 PM

Best answer selected by pdizzle.
Score
March 8, 2012 11:41:10 PM

Wait did you say It can play average games??? Can it play LOL league of legends and Skyrim??
Score
December 9, 2012 10:34:27 PM

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. and sold that other card. I also replaced the motherboard with Asus M4A87TD Evo. power supply is the same but I might need to get a new hardrive. DO I need a new one?
Score
!