Recommend a flash for a Canon 300D

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 30, 2005 12:22:09 PM

I have a 300D, but looking to improve my flash photography. I can't afford
an amazing amount of money, so the 550EX is out of the price range. Any
ideas of something pretty capable for less than the 550EX ?

http://www.thelisters.co.uk/
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:22:10 PM

"Craig Lister" <inforemove@removethelisters.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a 300D, but looking to improve my flash photography. I can't afford
> an amazing amount of money, so the 550EX is out of the price range. Any
> ideas of something pretty capable for less than the 550EX ?
>
> http://www.thelisters.co.uk/

The 420EX and the upgraded firmware to give you FEC...that's the route I
took anyhow.

--
www.harryphotos.com/prints.htm
Anonymous

Craig Lister wrote:
> I have a 300D, but looking to improve my flash photography. I can't
afford
> an amazing amount of money, so the 550EX is out of the price range.
Any
> ideas of something pretty capable for less than the 550EX ?

Amongst the cheaper options are Sigma EF 500 Super ($200) and Sunpak
PZ5000 ($150). The Sigma seems to have all the features of the 550EX
except for ETTL-2 or something like that.

- Siddhartha
April 30, 2005 4:26:09 PM

Hi,
The upgraded firmware you mentioned, is it the Russian hack or
a Canon upgrade to the 300D, or is it something to upgrade on/in the
420EX? thanks, Chebba

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:49:27 GMT, "Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

>"Craig Lister" <inforemove@removethelisters.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have a 300D, but looking to improve my flash photography. I can't afford
>> an amazing amount of money, so the 550EX is out of the price range. Any
>> ideas of something pretty capable for less than the 550EX ?
>>
>> http://www.thelisters.co.uk/
>
>The 420EX and the upgraded firmware to give you FEC...that's the route I
>took anyhow.
>
>--
>www.harryphotos.com/prints.htm

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:06:58 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote in

> Craig Lister wrote:
>> I have a 300D, but looking to improve my flash photography. I can't
> afford
>> an amazing amount of money, so the 550EX is out of the price range.
> Any
>> ideas of something pretty capable for less than the 550EX ?
>
> Amongst the cheaper options are Sigma EF 500 Super ($200) and Sunpak
> PZ5000 ($150). The Sigma seems to have all the features of the 550EX
> except for ETTL-2 or something like that.

ETTL-2 is built into the camera body.

I forget what the Sigma is allegedly lacking, but after finally using one I
regret buying a 550. The 580 is a different matter, but on the low end the
500 Super can't be beat.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 6:52:13 PM

I took your advice, and went for the 420EX. Order send.. Now I wait..

Whats FEC ?

"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote in message

> "Craig Lister" <inforemove@removethelisters.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have a 300D, but looking to improve my flash photography. I can't
afford
> > an amazing amount of money, so the 550EX is out of the price range. Any
> > ideas of something pretty capable for less than the 550EX ?
> >
> > http://www.thelisters.co.uk/
>
> The 420EX and the upgraded firmware to give you FEC...that's the route I
> took anyhow.
>
> --
> www.harryphotos.com/prints.htm

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:39:40 AM

Mark B. wrote:
> Flash exposure compensation, which allows you to adjust the flash
exposure.
> Unfortunately, this is not available on the Canon 300D nor on the
420EX. So
> you'll be pretty much stuck with whatever flash exposure the combo
gives
> you. The Sigma EF-500 Super DG does have FEC and a number of other
features
> for about the same price as the 420EX.

Let me qualify that by saying that the OEM firmware on the Canon 300D
does not allow FEC. But a nice gentleman in faraway Russia hacked the
firmware and gave us FEC plus lots of other features like MLU, higher
ISO etc etc. The hacked firmware is known to be as stable as the OEM
version and has a huge following.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:45:08 AM

Eric Gill wrote:
> ETTL-2 is built into the camera body.
>
> I forget what the Sigma is allegedly lacking, but after finally using
one I
> regret buying a 550. The 580 is a different matter, but on the low
end the
> 500 Super can't be beat.

Nothing a bit of googling can't find, well mostly :)

http://photonotes.org/reviews/sigma-ef-500-super/

Sums up nicely the differences between the Sigma EF 500 Super and Canon
550EX. Reportedly, Sigma flash's build quality is a bit suspect.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:31:45 AM

>I took your advice, and went for the 420EX. Order send.. Now I wait..
>
> Whats FEC ?

Flash exposure compensation, which allows you to adjust the flash exposure.
Unfortunately, this is not available on the Canon 300D nor on the 420EX. So
you'll be pretty much stuck with whatever flash exposure the combo gives
you. The Sigma EF-500 Super DG does have FEC and a number of other features
for about the same price as the 420EX.

Mark
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:07:21 PM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Craig Lister wrote:
> > I have a 300D, but looking to improve my flash photography. I can't
afford an amazing amount of money, so the 550EX is out of the price
range.

Compared to the new 580EX, 550EX is relatively cheap.

> > Any ideas of something pretty capable for less than the 550EX ?

You may have to look at other brands. Within each brand, only the top
model has high guide number (light output), unfortunately.

For me, the main reason to use an external flash is to bounce. If the
flash does not have high guide number, depending on your lens aperture,
imager sensitivity, room size, ceiling reflectance, etc., the flash may
not be able to output enough light for proper exposure, or it may not
have enough light for continuous shooting. In theory, if you want to
fire 2 shots continuously, the flash needs to have twice the charge of
the maximum light of a single shot. For 3 continuous shots, the flash
needs 3 times more charge... For a flash that limits "rapid fire", you
probably need even a larger guide number.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

Note that the expensive flashes get the high guide numbers from better
zoom reflecters, not brighter tubes. At 35mm wide angle, they have
lower guide numbers than the 120ft of Vivitar 283 and Sunpak 383.

With bounce flash, I can not aim the flash acurately bouncing toward
the subject. So I want to use wide angle instead of zoomed in flash
head, to make sure to have light coverage, and more even and softer
light.

IMHO, zoom head up to 105mm is not useful. When the subject is close
enough for a 100mm lens, I would use wide angle flash head. When the
subject is too far for wide angle flash, I would have to use a tele
lens longer than 300mm anyway, so I want a tele fresnel head on the
flash, much longer than a normal 105mm zoom head.

Canon E-TTL uses a preflash to meter flash exposure. This may be a
problem in some situations. I like non-TTL automatic flash, which does
not fire a preflash. In theory, E-TTL can be more acurate in exposure
metering. But the implementation of the E-TTL technology makes it less
acurate. In practice, I have to adjust flash exposure compensation
often, more often than non-TTL automatic flash. So non-TTL automatic
flash not only avoids the preflash, but also is more acurate than
E-TTL.

If you want both E-TTL and non-TTL automatic flash, there is Metz 54
MZ. It can also be used on other systems with adapters, e.g., Nikon,
Minolta, ...

> Amongst the cheaper options are Sigma EF 500 Super ($200) and Sunpak
PZ5000 ($150).

Are you sure the Sunpak has E-TTL? I thought it only has TTL.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:56:42 PM

Great news!
I have the hack, so that is a nice bit of info! Thanks for that. The flash
is capable for FEC ?
"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Mark B. wrote:
> > Flash exposure compensation, which allows you to adjust the flash
> exposure.
> > Unfortunately, this is not available on the Canon 300D nor on the
> 420EX. So
> > you'll be pretty much stuck with whatever flash exposure the combo
> gives
> > you. The Sigma EF-500 Super DG does have FEC and a number of other
> features
> > for about the same price as the 420EX.
>
> Let me qualify that by saying that the OEM firmware on the Canon 300D
> does not allow FEC. But a nice gentleman in faraway Russia hacked the
> firmware and gave us FEC plus lots of other features like MLU, higher
> ISO etc etc. The hacked firmware is known to be as stable as the OEM
> version and has a huge following.
>
> - Siddhartha

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:12:08 AM

> Great news!
> I have the hack, so that is a nice bit of info! Thanks for that. The flash
> is capable for FEC ?
> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Mark B. wrote:
> > > Flash exposure compensation, which allows you to adjust the flash
> > exposure.
> > > Unfortunately, this is not available on the Canon 300D nor on the
> > 420EX. So
> > > you'll be pretty much stuck with whatever flash exposure the combo
> > gives
> > > you. The Sigma EF-500 Super DG does have FEC and a number of other
> > features
> > > for about the same price as the 420EX.
> >
> > Let me qualify that by saying that the OEM firmware on the Canon 300D
> > does not allow FEC. But a nice gentleman in faraway Russia hacked the
> > firmware and gave us FEC plus lots of other features like MLU, higher
> > ISO etc etc. The hacked firmware is known to be as stable as the OEM
> > version and has a huge following.
> >
> > - Siddhartha

Yes sir, the hack rules. Just press the jump button and you will see and
FEC setting in the LCD. Cheers.
--
www.harryphotos.com
Anonymous

b...@scn.org wrote:
> For me, the main reason to use an external flash is to bounce.

That's VERY worth pointing : imho a direct flash will very seldom give
a good light (it will only if you blend it with ambient light).
Bouncing flash gives a very natural light in many situations (mainly
when you have a ceiling above your head).

If there are colored walls and/or ceiling, or no ceiling at all, you
can avoid that ugly color cast with a lightbox (nor as practical
neither as efficient, because it has to be huge for having any effect).
It also demands power.

So, the main thing you'd need with an external flash is power and an
orientable head (or a cord).

> [...] So non-TTL automatic
> flash not only avoids the preflash, but also is more acurate than
> E-TTL.

Easy conclusion : buy an old non-TTL high-power flash, and use the
saved money for whatever you want ;o).
I'm very glad of my old 533G (that was the dedicated flash of the canon
A1 I think) for instance - I bought it used for #150$ years ago.
Looking for a price on ebay, I found a cheap 577G (the same with a bit
more power), or Metz 60, etc...

Greetings from France
Nicolas
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:45:05 AM

"Craig Lister" <inforemove@removethelisters.co.uk> wrote in message
> Great news!
> I have the hack, so that is a nice bit of info! Thanks for that. The flash
> is capable for FEC ?

The 420EX is not, but with the hack FEC should work with any E-TTL flash.

Mark
!