user2019

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hi!

My uncle has a small company, where they make blueprints for buildings (usually houses), sewer, roads etc.

Currently he's buying laptop for company and asked me to find some laptop.

He got an offer for HP EliteBook 8560w with:
- Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz
- 4096MB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
- 500GB HDD
- AMD FirePro M5950

for around 1500€.

I found HP Pavilion DV7-6116sg with:
- Core i7-2670QM @ 2.30GHz
- 8192MB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
- 750GB HDD
- AMD Radeon HD 6770M

for 800€

I was wondering if M5950 is really worth the extra cash (since it is just like 6770M, but with professional drivers) & if it is, which laptop are you recomending, since 700€ price difference is just too much... For a laptop card :)

Thanks for your help in advance.
u.

Depends a bit on what program he uses, but the most, like autocad and stuff only need a gpu with dx10, open gl, round 1G vram etc.
The cpu is more important i believe. Also some programs like cuda cores so Nvidea maybe better than Amd.
http://usa.autodesk.com/3ds-max/system-requirements/
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servl [...] ID=9241177

Got this from K1114 ;
You guys are somewhat right, it depends on what renderer you are using but for modelling, the 9800gt should be plenty, the 450 isn't much of an upgrade. Keyshot, max and maya software renderer and mental ray are cpu dependent, they don't use the gpu at all, I don't know about alias or rhino but most software does not come with gpu accelerated renderers standard. If he has an add on renderer then do tell. Also max 2012 now comes with quicksilver and iray but most would agree they are not production ready versions as there are many compatibility issues, bugs and quite a bit of other things to work out. They also support cuda so would go with nvidia.

Quadros/firepro do not render faster, for the same price geforce/radeon will actually render faster as they would have more cores. But workstation cards are made to handle this type of work and would help a lot in the viewports. The only problem is your ram is going to run out before you see much benefit from it.