Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Black Screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyS79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hi All. Thanks for any help in advance.

I am having an issue with this X6800 CPU. I work a lot on computers and i am confident that my rig is up to par with this CPU,
so there may be an issue with the processor being DOA. I have exhausted all possible reason as to why i am getting a black screen on boot.

My specs are:
yes i know sucky parts mixed with new to newish parts ;p

elite group 945gct-m3
Link to specs http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=719&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=0

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti
2x 1gb Samsung ram,
3 hdds, DVD drive,
sound blaster card
my psu is Tunia 650 watt and i know it's up to the job.

My system is very clean. I also have double checked all connections. My bios is the latest. There is no grounding going on in there. when i put my Intel Pentium D back in it boots just fine! but when i put the x6800 it boots for 2 seconds then turns off then on then sits there. fans are running good, my thermal compound is the best. My system has always run fine, I just don't get, Please help....

Solution
I'm going by what Intel says, and they say that series CPU isn't compatible with that chipset (there are 5 or 6 'versions' of the 945 chipset, each with different compatibilities). It's a bummer I know. I had an old Abit board that would take any P4 (D) or Celeron, but wouldn't touch Core2Duos even with the latest BIOS.

Here's the X6800 compatibilities, lists 6 different 945 chipsets, but not the GC:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27258/Intel-Core2-Extreme-Processor-X6800-(4M-Cache-2_93-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

HarleyS79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
FSB 1066
Supports the latest 1066MHz front side bus Intel processors

Core 2 Duo
The processor is manufactured on Intel's 65nm fab process, regardless of L2 cache size, resides in an LGA775-style socket and runs up to 1333MHz front-side bus. Its power consumption is really much lower than previous Intel desktop chips.

* means validated by ECS at time of writing. Changes to component or CPU may produce a different outcome. The result shown is for reference only and is subject to change w/o notification.

Socket Family Processor Wattage Frequency Cache Stepping
LGA775 Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (B2) N/A 2.93 GHz 2x2MB N/A

I am not sure why you guys say it's incompatible, The website clearly says it is :(

sighs..Man i hope i didn't buy somthing that doesn't go to it.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I'm going by what Intel says, and they say that series CPU isn't compatible with that chipset (there are 5 or 6 'versions' of the 945 chipset, each with different compatibilities). It's a bummer I know. I had an old Abit board that would take any P4 (D) or Celeron, but wouldn't touch Core2Duos even with the latest BIOS.

Here's the X6800 compatibilities, lists 6 different 945 chipsets, but not the GC:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27258/Intel-Core2-Extreme-Processor-X6800-(4M-Cache-2_93-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

Solution

HarleyS79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

So A2 not the M3...Gahhh lol

HarleyS79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

I made sure that my board is the

945GCT-M3 (V3.0) sighs again...

scottiemedic

Distinguished
It's all very confusing, I checked all the links, and each of them say they 'can upgrade to 1066FSB' but none list BIOS downloads for CPU compatibility, and the chipset limits to 800, not like you can download a gremlin to make the changes to your board :p I'd look for something NOT from ECS!!

I used to have this board and it was a beauty. BUT it takes DDR3 instead of the standard DDR2, so you'd have to upgrade RAM (for faster RAM, weee).

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q3/

It uses a P45 chipset which is listed with Intel for Core2Extreme compatibility. Sorry to be the bearer of previous bad news.

HarleyS79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Thank all, I guess it is what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.