Budget pc for web browsing billpay etc

shreddawg

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi, I am trying to build my parents a new desktop for Christmas. They mostly just do web browsing and online bill pay.
Their laptop died and I am looking to replace it with a nice desktop PC.
I am on a budget, would like to spend around $300 for the tower and internal components themselves (no need for monitor or keyboard/mouse/speakers). Another question I have, could I get a motherboard with an integrated graphics card to save money? Or would buying a really cheap somewhat outdated Nvida or Radeon GPU be better in the long run?

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: Around $300 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web browsing/ online bill pay/ YouTube

Parts Not Required: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com Tigerdirect.com Microcenter.com (etc) (Reputable site with cheapest price)

Parts Preferences: Would love to stick with Intel or AMD if its in my price range

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

So far I am looking at:

Windows 7 64-bit $79.99 AFTER MIR

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL $24.99 Although, about $13 more could get me 8GB though I know its overkill(2x4GB G. Skill ram)

PSU:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $24.99 AFTER MIR

CD/DVD Burner:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner $19.99

That comes out to around $150 and I still have these 4 or 5 other things to purchase ( I think thats all the components I need?)
Is it possible to keep this budget with the components I picked out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Case:

Motherboard:

CPU:

Hard Drive:

GPU (if i cant get integrated graphics on mobo)

runswindows95

Distinguished
With the current prices of hard drives, I would suggest just going with an OEM machine than try to build one yourself. You are easily looking at $100 for any new hard drive. Also, with it being the holidays, you can probably find a nice system in one of the stores.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

THIS.

With a 300 dollar budget, you're not paying for a copy of Windows or buying any size hard drive by itself, much less both. Go to Best Buy or whatever and buy them the cheapest thing that doesn't have an Atom processor in it. Doesn't matter if it's single core, dual core etc just stay away from Atom and your parents will be perfectly all right.

Something like this would be great
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-slimline-desktop-computer-featuring-amd-athlon-ii-dual-core-250-processor-s5601f-s5601f/10153608.aspx?path=7df446b74e25225535f33cda30c1cde9en02

As for your integrated graphics question, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Seriously, any integrated GPU these days will be fine for web browsing and windows. Hell, any of them can run full screen 1080p videos no problem.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
Around $300 after rebates
Too expensive, I would still recommend going to your local walmart, and get the $300 computer with the monitor (I know my walmart has it). It'll be the best deal you can get. If you, however really want to get familiar with your computer, i would recommend the bare-bones kit and install linux because you can do
Web browsing/ online bill pay/ YouTube
on a Ubuntu linux computer AND get less viruses...You can go with the previously mentioned Bare-bones or go with this i3 CPU with a gfx card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1455136&CatId=31

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished