Motherboard/Video Card problem. (A2/AB)

Michaelm44

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I just got all the parts for a new build, except the case, which comes Wednesday. I figured I'd breadboard it to see if everything runs okay. So I took everything I needed, installed the CPU (i5 3750k) Stock fan, (I bought an aftermarket one but I don't need it atm) 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 RAM (In slots A1 and B1), GIGABYTE GTX660 Graphics card, then plugged in the fan power, motherboard power, CPU supplementary power, and video card power. I plugged in my monitor to the Motherboard's D-SUB port, and my keyboard into the PS/2. (I thought the monitor was supposed to go in the video card, but there was no D-SUB on the card.) So it worked the first time, then I powered it down. The next time I turned it on I got an 'A2' error on the motherboard, and the monitor never got output. I removed the video card, booted up again, and everything worked perfectly. I checked on the UEFI, and every component was detected with no errors. After looking around on the internet for a while, I went back to the UEFI/Advanced/North Bridge Configuration and changed PCIE2 link speed (The port where the video card would be) to Gen3. Now when I boot with the video card I still get no screen output, but Dr.Debug tells me 'ab', meaning 'Setup input wait'. My problem there is that pressing delete or F1 doesn't take me to the UEFI screen like it normally does. Help?

Michaelm44

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Installed the update, but still hanging on 'ab' with no boot screen.

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
When no storage device is detected then the system will go into UEFI setup automatically. "Ab" is the code that is displayed when you are in UEFI setup. So it looks like your system is booting normally, but you have no screen output.

If you still get output via the onboard output while the graphics card is plugged in, then maybe the graphics card is not detected at all. In UEFI setup main screen you should have an option called "System Browser" which displays detected components.

If you are testing the integrated graphics via D-Sub and the graphics card via DVI or HDMI different connections, then it might even be something as simple as a broken cable or faulty monitor.

Lorant_2

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
My mobo is failing to start with POST 99, but when I press DEL it will give Ab. It is a brand new build, it did get some thermal paste on the curcuit, but I cleaned it with nail polish remover (Ethyl Acetate, Alcohol, Caprilyc, Ride, Parfum). What could be the problem?