Computer wont turn on after attempting to install SSD

I attempted to install an SSD this weekend and now my computer will not turn on. I unplugged the cables from my old hard drive and into my new ssd. When I tried to turn the computer back on nothing would happen, no signs of life. I put the original hard drive back in and took out the new one but it made no difference the computer still wouldn't turn on. The last time I tried to do something inside the computer about a week ago the computer wouldn't turn on after i was finished, but I left it alone for a couple minutes and when I came back it turned back on. This led me to believe that the problem was with the power supply. I read about a test online where you connect the green wire to the black wire using a paperclip on the 20/24 pin power connection. I tried this and my power supply whirred to life and the fan turned on. I'm not sure what that means in terms of what is wrong with the computer. Additionally, I doubt the problem is with the power button itself because the computer has two of them, a regular one and a backup. Thanks you in advance for any input you might have.
1 answer Last reply
More about computer wont turn attempting install
  1. try this.

normal debugging is to remove things until the system has signs of life (like the fans whirling, beep codes, etc). Look for a wire that could be shorting out that you moved when installing the SSD. See if closing the case crimped a wire. GL.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt SSD Computer Hard Drives Systems