Max temp for 2500k?

I've looked up the max temp on Intel's website for the 2500k and they list it as being 72c.But I hear from other people that the actual max temp is much higher than that.So my question is what is the actual max temp for the 2500k?

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I would say at stock the max would be around 72c, maybe not exactly but around it.

I recommend buying an aftermarket cooler anyway, even if your not going to overclock.

Something like the Corsair H60.
Easy to install and no worries about space

I had the earlier model which was the H50 installed at stock frequencies and I was getting 20c idle and 35-40c full load.

Its always good to keep your CPU cool, even at stock. I hate stock coolers

Yah I don't like stock coolers either.

I have a Thermaltake Frio and I'm currently at 4.5ghz with 1.32vcore.At load my temps usually however around 58c.

I'm just curious why people are saying the max temp is 98c when Intel states that it is 72c.I'd like to push it a little further just to see how far it can go(within a safe voltage) but i'm sure it could easily go over 72c.I think I remember it being at around 65c-68c at 1.4vcore back when I first started O.C.ing.

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

No way 93c for an i5 2500k is ridiculous. They might of had it on a high voltage, or maybe there were a bad batch of i5 2500k processors that got sent out, im not sure. I know that there were heaps of the old Core i7 900 series processors that got sent out, and alot of people had overheating problems.

My advice it will be fine, I know people that have overclocked their i5 2500k's to 5.0Ghz and they were getting around 85-90 full load. Im not sure what vcore voltage they were using, but they did it.

i5 2500k will reach 4.6 Ghz with decent temps and a decent voltage.

Matt, the question is, is 98 safe, i'd say no, intel says 72, that will be padded a little for warranty reduction reasons, but not padded to 98.

You've answered the question can you reach 98, and yes i'm sure can if you wanted to

Matt, think of it this way would you buy the OP a new processor if he ran it at 85-90 and it failed, I wouldn't i'd therefore suggest the limit is closer to intels stated limit of 72. the older processors from larger production nodes could run at higher temps, but the smaller the process the worse it is to do this.

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Of coarse it's not safe. There is a possibility when it reaches of 100c it can overheat.

I wouldn't go anything over 85c

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Yeah true,

yeah no need to worry man, they must of done something wrong somewhere.

What CPU do you have at the moment ?

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

I definitely recommend H50/H60 for 2500k cpu. Its awesome to have a 4.3 Ghz overclocked 2500k and be at 64celsius on 100% cpu usage :)

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Yeah , i see

can we speak on skype or steam ?
much easier to communicate

what temps are you getting at the moment ?

Why over 100? and its not a possibility its a certainty at that level.

OP listen to whom you want to, but there's a stated limit of 72, read what you will into that.

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Im not saying it will reach 100c
Im saying that its not going to be exactly 72c, if will be close to that.

I was saying about 100c when being overclocked, not being on stock, because people are reaching 93c on the 2500k overclocked, which doesn't sound right.

Taken from the link you provided.

I think all the Sandys start throttling at 95C. Most people try to keep temps below 80C I think though

That guy doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about, multiplier throttling will happen way before then as long as you have Thermal Throttling enabled, and you definitely need to keep that enabled in your overclock to protect your CPU.

If you can keep it cool enough you can do what you want, if not, it's going to throttle down but unless you have CPU-Z active so you can monitor whats going on, you won't have a clue it's even throttling back.

I would say for your CPUs longevity stay below 72c with any load testing, if you're not satisfied with where your overclock is at, get a better cooling solution, don't risk damaging your CPU, the trade off is heat/voltage, it takes more voltage to run the higher clocks, more voltage = more heat.

More heat with more voltage = faster degradation of the CPUs electrical pathways and that's bad!

Your Thermaltake Frio is giving you a great 4500mhz 24/7 stable overclock your vcore at 1.32 is the same as mine, and that's a safe range you're in clock/load temperature wise.

There's no gaming performance past 4500mhz anyway, I've tested it on my 2500K to 5100mhz but I have a cooling solution that will allow those clocks, you'll see benchmark increases for bragging rights and some increased frames per second conversions in Video encoding.

What I'm saying is you are in a great place right now and I understand the desire to push it further, but the cooling it will take you to get there is not even a standard water cooling loop, you'll need solid below ambient cooling to reach the higher multipliers and be rock solid.

When you get a chance check this out. Ryan

On the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K has a Tcase of 72.6c. While this is not a good measure to see if your computer is overheating it is a solid point that you want to try to stay under. Most motherboards will have an alarm set at somewhere around 80c to let you know that your system is running too hot. Finally at 130c the Intel Core i5-2500k would shut down due to the Thermtrip # setting on the processor. While this may save the processor most likely if it got this hot something else would be damaged by the heat.

So if you want to ensure that your processor has a long life the best advise that I can give you is to work at stay under 72.6c.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I do wonder though, thats just normal load. If its max then I would assume if the cores go 70-75c they are fine, if overclocked to 4.5GHz, correct?

Mine is at 4.5GHz, had to use 1.35v currently need to tweak it and normally under IBT I hit 70-75c, under Prime95 it will be between 60-70c and while gaming it tends to stay around 50-60c.

Okay.I guess it's safe to say then that the max temp(or closest thing to it) is 72c.I'll be sure not to exceed that and thanks everyone for your help.

I do have one more question though if anyone can answer it.Why is it that AMD processor's with 125 watt TDP and more volts(1.4v to be exact) run cooler and have lower max temps than a 2500k?

TRENDING THREADS