Which UPS is sufficient for the system

enelra13

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hi i would like to apologize if i put this in the wrong section but i was looking around and i didn't find the right location to put this...

this is my system

Processor: AMD Bulldozer FX-8150
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2X4GB) 1600Mhz CL9
GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 6970 2GB in Crossfire (2 way)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache
SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD SATAIII
PSU: Corsair AX850 80PLUS GOLD
Chassis: NZXT Phantom White/Red stripes
Monitor: Samsung 23" 1920x1080 (3 monitors)

I was thinking of getting a 1000VA for my system

I have my eyes on these

APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500, 230V
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500GI

APC Back-UPS 1100, 230V, IEC320, without auto shutdown software, ASEAN
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1100CI-AS

or is this all i need?

APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 550
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR550GI

we don't have any electrical problem that often on our place but seeing as my husband spends lot's of money on building different systems for different usage i really suggested to buy some UPS which should help out to not damage our system in a small chance of it happening.

Like many people say "Better be safe than Sorry"

I would like to stay on the APC brand as it's the only one available to where we live.

I thank you all in advance.

Solution
With the 3 monitor setup running 120~150W you wouldn't expect the UPS above to handle the load unless that PC happened to be in near idle mode with home office like workload, surfing the web, etc. Taking 2 monitors off the UPS should let it handle any load except gaming.

The 1100VA model has a good chance of holding up briefly under a gaming load if only 1 monitor is plugged into the battery (and it's the monitor where you can shut down the system).

With the 3 monitor setup running 120~150W you wouldn't expect the UPS above to handle the load unless that PC happened to be in near idle mode with home office like workload, surfing the web, etc. Taking 2 monitors off the UPS should let it handle any load except gaming.

The 1100VA model has a good chance of holding up briefly under a gaming load if only 1 monitor is plugged into the battery (and it's the monitor where you can shut down the system).

Solution

enelra13

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I see so I don't need to plug in all 3 monitors into the ups?

so it's ok to just do it like this

PC= plug
Monitor= plug x1

seeing as the 1100VA model has 4 slots, can i plug in my PC then the 3 monitor? since i don't think i'll have anything else to plug into it.

or is it ok if we plug in 2 pc on 1 UPS? 1st pc+ monitor = 2 slot and 2nd pc + monitor = 2 plug for a total of 4 slots in the apc.

The 1100VA might not hold up long enough while gaming AND with all 3 monitors needing an extra 150W. But you can experiment to see how well it works.

2 PC on 1 UPS is possible. I run 1 PC and 1 Laptop on my UPS without a problem.

enelra13

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
ok I see but well i guess that is ok seeing as the other UPS is expensive thank you for your help I am going to be buying that 1100VA UPS.

thank you for helping me.

phil_h_99

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
If you want it to protect equipment I would suggest going line-interactive or on-line rather than off-line. So in APC speak I think that mean Smart-UPS rather than Backup-UPS.

I would recommend a model with a true sinewave output, such as http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BI850SINE (or the larger one). Your PSU may see the stepped approximation of a sinewave as bad power, and shut off, even though the UPS is working. I have personally experienced this issue, but a sinewave UPS (another APC model, don't remember exactly, but was 115V) took care of the problem. You might check with Corsair and/or APC for specific details concerning your model of PSU.