Solved

Building a new system.

Hey guys,

I need advice selecting parts to build a new system. I have upgraded a system before but never beyond replacing the video card or drives or RAM so I'm not sure about selecting PSU, fans, motherboards and such.

The system will be used for engineering simulations mostly (and Skyrim, and Mass Effect 3 next year haha).

I selected some parts by putting together a PC on CyberPowerPC's website then writing the parts down. My concerns are:
1) Will they go well together?
2) Any better alternatives?

Salvaged from my dead PC:
Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX460 1GB
4GB x1 Kingston 1600MHz
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
External Peripherals

To be purchased:
Intel i7-2600K 3.40GHz
GigaByte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2 DDR3 1600MHz (will this work well with the Kingston 4GB?)
Corsair VX550w
Creative Labs SB0570
Intel 82540EM Network Card
NZXT Phantom

To be decided:
CPU fan (need suggestion, will overclock moderately)
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building system
  1. Best answer
    Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 EVO for CPU cooling

If this build is for gaming go with the i5 2500k, stick with the i7 if you are doing HyperThreading material.

Z68 good choice

For the RAM never really tried using two different types so maybe someone else cna help you out there.

the PSU wont be enough to SLI if you plan to do that in the future (if you went down to the i5, up the PSU to have SLI later on when you need the performance boost)
  2. ^engineering simulations -> 2600K's probably worth it. What program(s)?
    You need an even number of RAM sticks. I wouldn't risk mixing companies. Find sticks that match the old one or get an entirely new set. 8gb would probably do it.
    If you're not going to do SLI, a 500W PSU will be fine for all but the best GPUs. If you are, probably 650W.
    Um...what do you have a network card in there for?
    You don't need a sound card unless you have some kind of many-thousand-dollar sound system, or a thousand-dollar pair of headphones and a silent room. Then you'd need lossless song compression, etc etc. It's almost certainly unnecessary.
  3. I like these suggestions above. Go with the i5 2500k, better value. Don't mix the ram, it won't be worth it. Just get rid of the old Kingston kit and get the 8 gig kit.

Your video card should be fine for now. And scrap the sound card.
  4. I use mostly MATLAB/Simulink. Graduate level control/systems stuff though so it gets pretty heavy.

I don't play games that much anymore but I do keep up with my favourites series like Mass Effect or Elders Scroll or Fallout so I might add another graphics card in the future. Guess I'll go for the 650W.

And yeah come to think of it, I didn't need a network or sound card before anyways. Thought it might be fun or something haha. Also, i read something about sound cards taking the load off CPU's. I'm just gonna remove them from the list to pay for the 650W.

And thanks Emelth for the CPU cooling suggestion Emelth.
  5. 460 SLI will have some microstuttering problems, but if you've already got one it'll be fine.
    Yep, 212 EVO'll do nicely.
  6. I know the i5 is better value but I want something powerful. Is it possible to swap a CPU after it's installed on the motherboard? For when the price of i7's goes down.
  7. Yes; it's easy, but the 2600K will certainly not be a worthwhile upgrade. It's barely better than the 2500K.
  8. I am relying on CPU Benchmark's PassMark comparison actually. I was leaning towards 2500K before that.
  9. Your motherboard will have at least one ethernet port built into it.

If you think you need the i7, get it now. It is not a worthwhile upgrade for an i5-K later.

A discrete sound card will decrease CPU utilization rates, but with a multi-core, multi-threaded processor, it just doesn't matter much. Besides, you will not be using the sound much when you are running simulations.
  10. Upgrade ur video card
  11. ^OP's already got one 460, and getting another for $200 will get them far more bang for the buck than getting a new, more expensive one.
  12. The 2600k with HT (hyperthreading) is barely better than the 2500k (no HT) in today's gaming.....however it has a huge performance difference in mutlthreaded apps. If your engineering apps are mutlithreaded, then the 2600k is a no brainer.

Anything that benefits from HT, will also benefit from more, faster and lower CAS RAM. That being the case I'd look at RAM speeds as recommended by your app vendors and not reusing your old Kingston stuff.

According to nVidia, ya wud need a 650 watt PSU for twin 460's
    XFX Core Edition is $60 after MIR

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

And yes, forget the sound an network cards
  13. Best answer selected by superawesomepanda.
  14. Finished it. Thanks guys.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems