Sign in with
Your question

AsRock Extreme 4, no post, no boot, no Dr. Debug

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2013 8:18:07 PM

Hi guys, I am a very long time reader of this site and finally broke down and made an account, in an attempt to get some help.

I took the trip up to my local Microcenter (an hour away) to pick up a 3750k and a AsRock Extreme 4. My excitement was killed will I couldn't boot. I troubleshot every thing that I could think of and everything that Google could tell me. I just had to take the trip up there again to get a replacement.

They told me that the motherboard had bent pins on the CPU part, so they wouldn't replace it. Blah blah, I eventually them to sell me another one for the same bundle price. Came back, same exact problem. I even went and bought a replacement PSU to remedy the problem. Still having it.

All I get is CPU fan, and power supply fan. No booting with, or without my discrete GPU (7850). Checked 8 pin and 24pin connections like no other. Switched out my ram into each individual slot.

Is there something I may have missed, or did I just get screwed out of 200 dollars for both motherboards?
a c 554 V Motherboard
January 12, 2013 9:43:30 PM

Hi, Is it a Z68 or Z77?
And it's probably 3570k?
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2013 9:53:59 PM

if its z68 then you should probably update the BIOS for Ivy Bridge support.
Related resources
January 12, 2013 9:54:36 PM

Do you have an easy means to clear the CMOS on the motherboard? Maybe give that a go and try booting up with only the mobo+CPU to see if you POST.
January 12, 2013 10:30:42 PM

It is a Z77. And there is actually a Clear CMOS button on the motherboard. Tried that and taking out the battery to no avail.
a c 431 V Motherboard
January 12, 2013 11:07:57 PM

check to see if the mb is grounding out. on a missing standoff or the rear i\o shield. if you can try posting the mb outside the case with just the onboard video.
January 13, 2013 3:13:05 AM

I have actually been running it outside of the case. All I had hooked in was CPU, HS/F, and my ram. Still nothing.
a c 554 V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 6:56:47 AM

Then it looks like a motherboard problem. If deciding to RMA it, check the CPU socket for bent pins.
January 13, 2013 3:23:10 PM

alexoiu said:
Then it looks like a motherboard problem. If deciding to RMA it, check the CPU socket for bent pins.

Thanks, that's kind of what I had figured. Is there anything you can do with a motherboard that has bent pins? Or are you just out of luck?
a c 554 V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 3:47:32 PM

It depends on how bad they are bent. With a magnifying glass and lot of patience sometimes they can be straighten.
January 23, 2013 3:09:34 PM

Just an update, it turns out I did just end up getting two DOA motherboards in a row. Thanks for all the help!
!