How does video work with new video card?

marasisa_88

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hi all, beginner's question here. I installed a new video card into my computer and I plugged the monitor vga cable into the port on my motherboard; when I powered it on nothing came up on the screen. So I took out the video card and again used the same vga port on my motherboard to hook up my monitor, everything was fine. This was just a little experiment I was conducting because I am not completely sure how your monitor gets video from your computer. If you install a graphics card in your computer does the computer see that as the only outlet for video?

Solution
Well, even if putting the card in the system didn't shut off the IGP the card would still serve no purpose without a monitor plugged into it. It would just be using extra power so yeah, just wait on whatever adapters you need before installing.
Some integrated graphics can be on at the same time as a discrete, some cannot. A monitor needs to be plugged in before you turn it on though as any without a monitor won't be initialized. It looks like you only have 1 monitor so only one gpu will be on unless you have z68 with virtu.

marasisa_88

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Those are both very helpful answers. I cannot plug my monitor into my vid card until my adapter gets shipped to me. When it does I will test out my card, hopefully my computer will still detect it.

Well, even if putting the card in the system didn't shut off the IGP the card would still serve no purpose without a monitor plugged into it. It would just be using extra power so yeah, just wait on whatever adapters you need before installing.

Solution