Sign in with
Your question

Is FX 4100 a good CPU for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
March 8, 2012 12:41:19 PM

I need help making a good build that includes OS, Case w/ 500w, DVD Drive, Intel i3 2100, MSI Hawk Radeon R5770, 500gb HDD, 60gb SSD, good 100 dollar motheboard, and 8gb memory Corsair. I need all this in less then 600 dollars please. If you can't provide me the parts can you tell me if AMD FX 4100 is a good CPU for budget gaming?

More about : 4100 good cpu gaming

March 8, 2012 12:46:31 PM

Clocked at 3.6GHz with plenty of room for OverClocking , a large cache to take advantage of the overclock, and a modest price makes this processor great for gaming in particular and everyday use in general

OVERCLOCKING OVERCLOCKING OVERCLOCKING

As the FX series chips support 1866MHz RAM
to get the best benefit from the overclock its very important that you use atleast 1600MHz ram like the corsair vengence and
overclock not just by increasing the multiplier of the cpu
but by increasing the FSB frequency and adjusting cpu multiplier to remain at 4.1-4.2 GHz and adjusting your memory divider to remain close to the 1866MHz mark or higher if your ram can take it.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
March 8, 2012 12:49:31 PM

On a build with your budget the SSD really isn't a necessity.
Fold those $$ over into a better graphics card.

For a complete system - visit the Systems > New Build section of the forums.
If you fill out the form in *How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll answer all the standard questions that help things get started.
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2012 1:02:06 PM

I would recommend going with Intel if you intend to game :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2012 1:06:14 PM

the fx chips is not that good for gaming it does well in multitasking even a phenom ii x 4 955be will leave behind the fx 4100 in gaming.:) 
m
l
March 8, 2012 1:20:19 PM

FX 4100 might be a waste of money if you don't overclock. A Phenom 2 965 is better and will run you less cash I believe.
m
l
March 8, 2012 1:55:30 PM

FX 4100 is a quadcore and an i3-2100 of the same price is only a dual core. i5-2500k is double the price of fx 4100 and yet offers slower core speed and an okay cache when compared to the fx.

Edit: Fx 6100 would be a better choice in AM3+ category for a few dollars more.
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:05:15 PM

Quote:
ATM AMD doesn't have any good cheap CPU's, if you want to save money on the CPU buy The cheapest i3 from intel and it's still better for gaming than the most expensive FX from AMD.

Wrong,

the FX120 beats the core i3 from Intel. It just hasn't beat the Core i5 2500k
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:43:05 PM

Quote:
OCed FX - 8150 sits solid in between i5 2500 and i7 2600 and they tell me 8120 is the same as 8150 so the 8120 sits in the same position when OCed however @ stock clocks it looks poor

Yap mine 8150 works great and beats i5 2500 but that is not why I chose it. It is a beastly multitasker that overclocks even better. costs little more than i5 but I did not care since was pissed on my i5 setup lol
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:48:14 PM

Without entering the CPU discussion, why the SSD ? Really, not worth the money.
R5770 is just too weak for CPU decisions (FX vs i3), go at least for an 6850.

And, what is your screen ?
And what is your PSU ? No Brand or crappy PSU make or break a rig. Usually break them. Post a list with the specs or the gear you already have or that you want to buy.
m
l
March 8, 2012 3:03:48 PM

Sure mate. SSH to the Nix box. I ussually use Mremote with that supports SSH/Tenet/Raw, RDP and ICA conenctions. It has also "tab Browsing" so i check several VMs at the same time. BD would to fine on that scenario.
m
l
March 8, 2012 6:24:54 PM

Quote:
Just a scenario from a potential future owner of an FX 8120/50 my question to you is would I be able to have one monitor with a virtual machine running Linux OS and another screen playing a game in Windows 7 maxed out on 7850 CF like MW2 or BF3 with 60fps min Vsynch and have it all running smoothly on the FX - 81xx OCed CPU ? The Linux machine would be running YouTube Videos in HD and looking up crazy shxx like on Reddit and looking up stuff when playing MMOs ect and music playing.

I'm running single 30" monitor not dual and I never run virtual machine ...but my 8150 system is visibly faster than my other i5 2500k one. Tabbing between applications like (game, 1080 movies, tons of web is much faster or snappier than i5). I can't compare it to i7 but i5 is just visibly slower. Hope it will help you. Buy test it if don't like it sell it get i7 try it sell it etc...

Best of luck
m
l
March 8, 2012 7:12:31 PM

gamerk316 said:
Nope:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Gets beat by the i3, let alone the i5. There is no reason to get a BD for gaming, period, especially since the 2500k is cheaper.

And don't give me the Overclocking argument; BD still loses.

Mate, the Budget is 600 USD. I could recommend an Interlagos platform or a Westmere, but it is a bit out of budget.

So, OP, the best way to do it, especially when you have limited funding is building from the group up. That means, the most expensive part are the last one to be picked. (GPU/CPU). Why ?

Because with a crappy PSU, your system wont last long or be unstable.
Because with a crappy case, your system wont last long, will warm up too much or be unstable.
Because without enough RAM, your system will be slow regardless or CPU and GPU combos.
Because with a BAD MB, your system wont last long, be unstable and will have low performance.
Because with a small HDD, you will be staring at your desktop, because there is not much space left to install anything.

Now, what is your list of specs again ? ANd then lets see with the money that is left, witch CPU and GPU combos are better !

m
l
March 8, 2012 10:50:20 PM

gamerk316 said:
Nope:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Gets beat by the i3, let alone the i5. There is no reason to get a BD for gaming, period, especially since the 2500k is cheaper.

And don't give me the Overclocking argument; BD still loses.

I have two system( 3 actually - media ceneter) at home 8150 and i5 2500k. I pushed FX to almost 5Ghz stable, i5 will not go above 4.1 so I keep it at 4.0Ghz. So FX clearly is a better overclocker so I do not know what your deals is it simply better in overclocking.
Now performance wise YES you are right FX8150 is not as good in games but it performs much a like i5 2500K
Anyway this is not about games both CPU generate enough FPS that you can feed the neighbors as well

If you never had the chance to work on FX8150 you obviously can not see the difference between the two systems.
So let's just leave it at that. They are both great CPU...if you play games a lot get i5 if you do more that n that get 8150 or if you have more cash get i7 2600k
I like AMD platform ( I'm not AMD fan boy) because it is better in things I do. Over the years I had intel and AMD CPUs and it was always the case that intel system works harder but faster where as AMD works under less load and bit slower but you can do many other things at the same time....
My pal has internet biz with girly things :)  so when each girl has 20 "messangers/chat rooms open" his intel cpu's are running all at 100% AMD at around 40%...hope you see my point.

We should make a test...I'll open a new thred
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 12:41:39 AM

Honesly I know bulldozer was kind of a flop but for $200 i got myself a nice 970 dual PCI-E, SATA 3, USB 3 board and an FX-4100 that I have running stable and cool @ 4.5 Ghz. My system will run BF3 on ultra @ 1080P (45-50 FPS) while listening to my own music, downloading files with a few different programs and firefox's open without a hiccup. The intel boys hate the bulldozer line because it's not the top notch best performing most expensive thing on the planet. For the money with a decent clock this processor is well worth the $$
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:45:08 AM

radnor said:
Without entering the CPU discussion, why the SSD ? Really, not worth the money.
R5770 is just too weak for CPU decisions (FX vs i3), go at least for an 6850.

And, what is your screen ?
And what is your PSU ? No Brand or crappy PSU make or break a rig. Usually break them. Post a list with the specs or the gear you already have or that you want to buy.

My Build:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:48:27 AM

radnor said:
Mate, the Budget is 600 USD. I could recommend an Interlagos platform or a Westmere, but it is a bit out of budget.

So, OP, the best way to do it, especially when you have limited funding is building from the group up. That means, the most expensive part are the last one to be picked. (GPU/CPU). Why ?

Because with a crappy PSU, your system wont last long or be unstable.
Because with a crappy case, your system wont last long, will warm up too much or be unstable.
Because without enough RAM, your system will be slow regardless or CPU and GPU combos.
Because with a BAD MB, your system wont last long, be unstable and will have low performance.
Because with a small HDD, you will be staring at your desktop, because there is not much space left to install anything.

Now, what is your list of specs again ? ANd then lets see with the money that is left, witch CPU and GPU combos are better !

My Specs:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...
m
l
!