Sign in with
Your question

What is a good, non-expensive router for gaming?

Last response: in Networking
January 2, 2011 6:29:12 PM

I am looking to purchase a router and NewEgg has the Linksys WRT54GL 802.11b/g Wireless Broadband Router up to 54Mbps/ Open Source DD-WRT on sale right now for $49.99 (which is $30.00 off the base price). However, someone told me that Linksys has some sort of virus or issue going on with them right now. So, what is a decent router I can get for gaming? My PC will be plugged in through a Ethernet cable, but I will most likely run a PS3 and Xbox off of a wireless connection, so wireless would be preferred but not a necessity.
January 5, 2011 12:00:34 AM

I have a linksys WRT610N and it has a really strong wireless connection, but how far will you be from the router?
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2011 1:01:00 AM

Well, the apartment I'm moving into is only about 700 sq ft, so it won't need to be that long. Our connection will be 1.5.-3 mbps. Would getting a Gigabit card do anything to improve gaming? Or is it just a waste of money?
m
l
January 5, 2011 12:54:20 PM

The reviews I've read on Tom's and elsewhere don't seem to show any real gaming improvement from the dedicated cards (in terms of offloading Ethernet processing).

I assume your motherboard has built in Ethernet. If you have 100Mb then that's more than enough to handle that 1.5-3Mb connection. Put your money into more RAM or a better video card.
m
l
!