Trying to decide between these two sets of RAM Help appreciated

Last response: in Memory
January 13, 2013 12:21:44 AM

So I've been trying to decide between these two sets of LP RAM

Both 16GB

Both are 9-9-9-24

Both are 1.35-1.5V (I think)

First of all, we have the Corsair Vengeance Low Profile

http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengean...

(32mm high)

vs the Crucial Ballistix Sport

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLS...

(30 mm high)

I've got a thermalright silver arrow which is pretty big, and to be able to put a front fan on, I'll need to remove my current RAM set (2x4GB Corsair Vengeance)
a b } Memory
January 13, 2013 12:43:35 AM

The corsair low profile should fit under almost any heatsink. I do not have the Silver arrow, but the 212+ fits under corsair low profile(its the ). Hell ripjaws fit under the NH-D14, but you have to remove it to get the stick in the closest slot out.

The silver arrow seems to have room for any "low profile" memory.

212+ over XMS3 memory. Just for an idea, I think the Silver Arrow has MORE space. I know my Ripjaws do not fit under that.
m
l
January 13, 2013 12:46:11 AM

Oh they should both fit, I'm just wondering if there's any difference between them other than size.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2013 1:12:26 AM

The Corsair product is 1.35v memory and looks to be considerably less expensive than the Crucial memory.

The Crucial product is 1.5v memory.
m
l
January 13, 2013 1:31:42 AM

I'm in Australia, so I expect pricing for the RAM to be wildly off the manufacturer's RRP =\
m
l
a b } Memory
January 13, 2013 3:33:12 AM

The page says the crucial are 1.35 as well.

My advice is if you are getting 4 sticks, get them in ONE kit as sometimes little things need to be tweaked for running 2 kits.

Believe it or not, I had 2 identical(the serial number was just off by one) sets of XMS3(not the sets pictured) and it was never quite 100%(by this I mean if I would use about 90% of the memory, it could generate an error after about 7 or 8 hours of use at that load. I would not notice if I did not run 90% blend prime for 12 hours.), but the sticks them selves are not to blame. I think it was something in the advanced timings that needed changing.

Just something to think of when ordering memory.
m
l
January 14, 2013 12:15:21 AM

nukemaster said:
The page says the crucial are 1.35 as well.

My advice is if you are getting 4 sticks, get them in ONE kit as sometimes little things need to be tweaked for running 2 kits.

Believe it or not, I had 2 identical(the serial number was just off by one) sets of XMS3(not the sets pictured) and it was never quite 100%(by this I mean if I would use about 90% of the memory, it could generate an error after about 7 or 8 hours of use at that load. I would not notice if I did not run 90% blend prime for 12 hours.), but the sticks them selves are not to blame. I think it was something in the advanced timings that needed changing.

Just something to think of when ordering memory.

Ended up going with this.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLS...

I think 16G in 2x8 sticks will be plenty for a very long time XD

Thanks for your help guys!
m
l
a b } Memory
January 14, 2013 1:09:26 AM

Similar to what I did, but with Gskill :) 

My ram is not 1.35 :( 

That should have you set for a good while :) 
m
l
January 14, 2013 1:16:59 AM

nukemaster said:
Similar to what I did, but with Gskill :) 

My ram is not 1.35 :( 

That should have you set for a good while :) 

If the CPU is rated at 1.5 (or whatever), will RAM voltages matter? Surely the 1.35-5 rating just means the range of voltages they support?
m
l
a b } Memory
January 14, 2013 3:18:02 AM

Yes, I would aim to get it as low as you can(1.35 for less heat), but they should take 1.5 fine. 1.35 is just better memory so it needs less voltage.

Some setups will not go all the way down to 1.35, but most will.
m
l
January 14, 2013 3:43:31 AM

I'm putting it in a P67 Sabertooth, so that capability is def. there in the BIOS.
m
l
!