Suitable motherboard for my i5 processor

carbretta

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I am building a system for gaming/performance. I currently have the following:

PSU: Real Power 620w Modular
Case: Areo Cool XPedator

I have decided on a intel i5 2500k after much arguing to myself about AMD FX and i7 2700k

But I am stuck with the motherboard and GPU. Motherboards I have my eye on are:
ASUS 1155 P8Z68 DELUXE S/L
ASUS 1155 SABERTOOTH P67 S/L
ASUS 1155 MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (worth the extra money?)
All of these have more expensive REV 3.0 option but I am not sure what this is is someone could explain that for me.
I want a motherboard that is good for over-clocking and has plenty of extras (Lots of sata 6gb, usb ports and different PCI slots) Which of these motherboards do you think is best? Or any other options you might have around this sort of price.

And finally a graphics card. Basically looking to play new games in good quality without worry of Lag, budget between £100-£200 but preferable the lower half of that.

Suggestions on any of these points would be much appreciated, thanks :D

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
All of these a high tier motherboards. The MAXIMUS supports up to 4 graphic cards. The other two supports up to 2 graphic cards. The difference is the chipset. The Z68 has few more perks compared to the P67 chipset, like virtu, ssd caching ,etc.

Given that you want to invest on a sub 150 pound GPU and not doing much overclocking, you might as well choose a lower priced motherboard compared to any of the above mentioned three. Stick with Z68 chipset and try to go for a GEN 3 PCIe slot supported motherboard.

All the above three mentioned do not support the PCIe 3 graphic cards which are bound to be released early next year.

The REV3.0 is just the bios version number. You could always update it through a utility or from ASUS website.

Good luck!

carbretta

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Excellent advice, thank you :D
Perhaps:
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen
I know its still quite expensive but I dont mind paying the extra

TRENDING THREADS