Differance between lga775 and lga 1366

ddkput

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
can anyone tell me the main differances between the lga 775 and tha lga 1366. I found a promising article on overclockers but it was to old and not complete anymore.

ddkput

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Sorry for not being specific. I have the most obvious stuff as far as pin count, fan mounting, socket dimensions ect. I just was looking for any real performance or upgrade info. besides new cpu's

digdog

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
"for any real performance or upgrade info"
CPUs that run on 1366 are massively superior to C2D's.

however i suggest you look elsewhere if you want to upgrade;

1366 has triple channel memory, and its not that effective (Tom's did a piece on it back then)compared to double channel, but more expensive; remember that whatever you chose, it will have to run on DDR3, not the DDR2 you have on your PC. the 1366 CPUs are also expensive, though they do offer lots of power, the newer sockets (1155/56 and 2011) are better for consumers.

possibly today the best choice would be a P67, or Z68 board with a i5 2500k CPU; this changes depending on what you want to do with your PC, but if you are just looking for an harmless upgrade.

your question is too generic, we need more info :/

ddkput

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
OK I am a student doing a take home sheet. the question is . list all the items that make the 775 socket b different from the 1366 socket t. now this is a question that sucks because i do not have them in front of me and i have found some info on the web, but i believe he looking for something that will not just be out there to read. I need someone with some exp. with both sockets. to refine my answer to more than just the obvious I have already

they are a generation apart, 775 was a hangover platform that intel had been with for ages. 1366 was the first of the enthuiast platforms support i7's

you can't compare platform performance as they had different chips on them.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/48?vs=99

is a comparison of the best quad on 775 and the best quad on 1366 (with hyperthreading).

775 dual channel memory
1366 tri channel - odd memory sizes 3,6,12 GB

cost

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
AFAIK,
LGA775 motherboards used a different CPU to RAM connection. In those motherboards you had a northbridge, which was a dedicated memory controller. All communications between them had to go through the northbridge.

In LGA1366 motherboards, the technology is now QPI which has a dedicated memory controller onboard the CPU chip. The RAM and CPU communicate directly with each other.

The CPU's on LGA1366 are 45nm vs 65nm on LGA775 I believe. The architecture itself is much faster on a clock per clock basis.

ddkput

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Listen dude I know it is stupid and most of the info that has been sent in response I already have found in the research I have done, But you don't understand this teacher. He already told the classes this would be the lowest grades we would get all semester just because of the way he made the questions. i was just looking for a little more insight from someone who may have had experience with these two sockets. the Obscure answer is maybe what he is looking for. and as far as doing the work myself I am, this is the only question I am looking for insight on. I have spent a good 10 hrs on the rest of the paper.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
All the info you could want is more or less in this page. Asking for more from us at this point is asking for us to do your homework for you. blackhawk1928's post is more than detailed enough based on what you'd asked for.

ddkput

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

You guys dont give anyone a break.my point is, I am dealing with a professor who give lectures and we do labsand then we have a test on outdated stuff that was not even mentioned in class. his point is it teaches us how to use the internet. My point is I have 4 other classes and i dont have 12 hour to look up info just to prove i can search the web. I have to dedicate some time to my programming and tech math too. I am a BIO med student and I did do the reasearch but no matter what I put down he will say something is missing. I have used wiki and others to look this info up and I have some info. I again was just looking for someone who might have some hands on for a little known or obscure difference to add to the 3 paragraph answer I CAME UP WITH FROM MY OWN RESEARCH< THANK YOU VERY MUCH> I am not a slacker and I do my own research I just was looking for something different or out of the norm for someone. I did not expect to get *** on. I am 45 years old and had to change careers do to an injury.I have always paid my dues and work thru what was expected of me. I guess most of the youth expects stuff to be dropped in their laps thats not me . I guess I should have been clearer with what I was looking for so the impression that I was looking for a free answer was not out there. what ever I have wasted enough time defending myself.

digdog

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
first off i'm nearly as old as u are;

second, u have a bad teacher, sux but hey we had them all.

also, it isn't that hard to go to wikipedia and type : socket 1366.

but what i really mean is that for someone who lurks on Tom's, a question such as "what is the difference between 1366 and 775" should be bread n butter, not butthurt. god i wish they asked *me* at school that question. i wouldn;t shut up.

that's it. if you read blackhawk's answer it's all there.