Macro/micro Again!

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 30, 2005 9:30:47 PM

Given the 1.5 ratio in the Nikon D70 am I correct in assuming that the
closest focusing distance for macro lenses (Nikkor 105mm or Tamron 90mm)
will increase. i.e. say the Nikkor gives 1:1 at 12" on 35mm will it be 1:1
at 1'6" on the D70?

Also, how good a general telephoto is the Nikkor? No test seems to give
much mention to that aspect of its performance.

More about : macro micro

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:30:48 PM

"JackN" <jackn@btinternet.com> writes:
> Given the 1.5 ratio in the Nikon D70 am I correct in assuming that
> the closest focusing distance for macro lenses (Nikkor 105mm or
> Tamron 90mm) will increase. i.e. say the Nikkor gives 1:1 at 12" on
> 35mm will it be 1:1 at 1'6" on the D70?

The close focus distance will say the same and the actual magnification
ratio on the film or sensor will stay the same. The "1.5 ratio" just
means the D70 image is cropped (the digital sensor is smaller than a film
frame) so the angular coverage of (say) a 100mm lens, from one edge of
the D70 frame to the other, will be the same as a 150mm lens on a 35mm
SLR, from one side of the film frame to the other.

> Also, how good a general telephoto is the Nikkor? No test seems to give
> much mention to that aspect of its performance.

It's excellent.
April 30, 2005 9:30:48 PM

JackN wrote:

> Given the 1.5 ratio in the Nikon D70 am I correct in assuming that the
> closest focusing distance for macro lenses (Nikkor 105mm or Tamron 90mm)
> will increase.

Nope, focusing distance stays the same.

> i.e. say the Nikkor gives 1:1 at 12" on 35mm will it be
> 1:1 at 1'6" on the D70?

What it boils down to is the object will appear more magnified on the
smaller sensor i.e. it will fill more of the frame.

> Also, how good a general telephoto is the Nikkor? No test seems to give
> much mention to that aspect of its performance.

I'm sure it's good if it is a "regular" macro lens that focuses to infinity.
Some of the specialized "bellows only" type lenses don't work that great at
infinity, especially at the wider fstops.

--

Stacey
April 30, 2005 9:43:16 PM

JackN wrote:
> Given the 1.5 ratio in the Nikon D70 am I correct in assuming that the
> closest focusing distance for macro lenses (Nikkor 105mm or Tamron
> 90mm) will increase. i.e. say the Nikkor gives 1:1 at 12" on 35mm
> will it be 1:1 at 1'6" on the D70?
>
> Also, how good a general telephoto is the Nikkor? No test seems to
> give much mention to that aspect of its performance.

No. Any lens giving 1:1 will be 1:1 no matter what camera it is put on.
If I were top take the lens from my 4X5 that can focus to 1:1 and put it on
my 35mm it will still focus 1:1 and on my digital it will also do 1:1
However on the 4x5 it will take in a subject 4x5 inches. On the 35mm it
will be the same size as the 35m negative (about 1x1.5) and on the digital
it will be smaller yet. Frankly for a digital camera that ratio has less
meaning as we don't have a physical image that the lens focused in the
camera, you can't really think of it as the same thing.

For digital I would suggest considering the minimum size the lens will
focus on and fill the frame as the measure of meaning.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:30:03 AM

"JackN" <jackn@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Given the 1.5 ratio in the Nikon D70 am I correct in assuming that the
> closest focusing distance for macro lenses (Nikkor 105mm or Tamron
> 90mm) will increase. i.e. say the Nikkor gives 1:1 at 12" on 35mm
> will it be 1:1 at 1'6" on the D70?
>
> Also, how good a general telephoto is the Nikkor? No test seems to
> give much mention to that aspect of its performance.

Very, very good.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:30:04 AM

Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> writes:
> > Also, how good a general telephoto is the Nikkor? No test seems to
> > give much mention to that aspect of its performance.
>
> Very, very good.

Oh yeah, what't the evidence? Am I supposed to believe that without
proof? That sounds like Magical Thinking to me. ;-)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:02:10 PM

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in

> Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> writes:
>> > Also, how good a general telephoto is the Nikkor? No test seems to
>> > give much mention to that aspect of its performance.
>>
>> Very, very good.
>
> Oh yeah, what't the evidence? Am I supposed to believe that without
> proof? That sounds like Magical Thinking to me. ;-)

Taken with the 105 micro on the D70, handheld.

Mick Brown
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:39:03 PM

Mick Brown wrote:
> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in

>>>Very, very good.
>>
>>Oh yeah, what't the evidence? Am I supposed to believe that without
>>proof? That sounds like Magical Thinking to me. ;-)
>

> Taken with the 105 micro on the D70, handheld.

> Mick Brown
> www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown

All very good, but OP was asking about telephoto performance, not macro,
which we can assume is pretty good allready being a Micro lens . . .
How is the lens' performance focused on infinity?

Cheers
Steve
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:11:22 PM

Bartshumandad <bartshumandad@netscape.net> wrote in news:CKzde.3169
$Od6.455490@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Mick Brown wrote:
>> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in

>>>Oh yeah, what't the evidence? Am I supposed to believe that without
>>>proof? That sounds like Magical Thinking to me. ;-)
>>

>> Taken with the 105 micro on the D70, handheld.
>>
>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3146232
>>
>> Mick Brown
>> www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
>
> All very good, but OP was asking about telephoto performance, not macro,
> which we can assume is pretty good allready being a Micro lens . . .
> How is the lens' performance focused on infinity?
>
> Cheers
> Steve

Dont think I have used the lens for this much, I do however use it as a
portrait lens with great success. I will go and do some test shots in the
next couple of days.

Mick Brown
!