Sign in with
Your question

Building computer from parts

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2013 2:21:30 AM

I have an old HP with an intel core 2 quad, 4 GB of 6400 ddr2 ram, a hauppage tuner card, and drives optical and HD, as well as wi-fi and video cards. I am looking to build a pc to run Windows 7 as a media center machine. The sockets have changed to the i3-7 on most mother boards today so I am wondering if I'm better off using the ram and chipset I own or buy new. I really don't want to spend much money so I might go with the AMD equivalent if I buy into the new socket on a motherboard. I also am looking to put several hard drives into a case. What to do?
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 3:01:33 AM

MichaelBFree said:
I have an old HP with an intel core 2 quad, 4 GB of 6400 ddr2 ram, a hauppage tuner card, and drives optical and HD, as well as wi-fi and video cards. I am looking to build a pc to run Windows 7 as a media center machine. The sockets have changed to the i3-7 on most mother boards today so I am wondering if I'm better off using the ram and chipset I own or buy new. I really don't want to spend much money so I might go with the AMD equivalent if I buy into the new socket on a motherboard. I also am looking to put several hard drives into a case. What to do?

Just a media center PC?

Meh, just buy one of ZOTAC's itx LGA775 motherboards and a case with a PSU and you're fine.

Also, if you want, get a budget GT650
m
l
Related resources
!