Just the graphics card to go, any suggestions?

carbretta

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
OK so after much question asking a research I have the following:

Already Brought:
Case: Areo Cool XPedator
PSU: Real Power 620w Modular

In shopping Basket:
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 3.30GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

Now I just need a graphics card. The best card I get get for around the £150 mark. Will be playing the new Star Wars - The Old Republic mmorpg to begin with which I understand to be quite processor hungry rather than GPU reliant. But would also like to play other games such as battlefield 3 in good quality without the worries of lag. Any suggestions?

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Tom's did a study of BF3 with various graphics cards which should help you pick one. I can't say what card you need unless I know what the native resolution of your monitor is. At what I consider to be both ideal and the absolute minimum, the equivalent of 1080i, 1920X1200, any card weaker than a GTX 560Ti will probably fail to deliver smoothness at High settings on BF3. More demanding games and higher resolutions and settings will need even more card. To run BF3 on Ultra 2560X1600, for instance, you want at least a GTX 590.

I think it's safe to say that as a general rule (for gaming) you should throw as much money at the graphics card as you can afford. Sure, some games need more CPU than others, but they all will be hobbled first by a weak graphics card.

carbretta

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I think anything above a 560 is going to be out of my range. How about this?
MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr 1GB
It is £160 which I can stretch to. I have a 19in dell flat screen LCD so nothing fancy at the moment but will probably get a new one at a later date

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

I think it will be OK, and that price is about right. It got 62% top-notch reviews on Newegg, and the pans were mostly driver problems, I'll bet. I wish the chip manufacturers would hire some real programmers.