I'm looking for a good case for my intel i5 build:

Intel i5 2500k (to be OC'ed)
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
8GB Gskill Ripjaws X CL8
2x2GB Sapphire 6950
Corsair Force 3 120GB
hec 750W
Dark Rock Pro C1 cpu cooler

I was quite impressed by my old Coolermaster 690 keeping my 955BE (overclocked to 3.8Ghz) at ~40*C
I thought the Antec 902 v3 would be a suitable case but someone on this forum shot down that idea and suggested a corsair 600t would be 'more efficient'. Although I cant make out from corsair's website what constitutes 'efficient cooling'.

Any suggestions people? I'm trying to minimize increments to my already overstretched budget so be gentle. All i really need from it besides cooling is front panel usb3 and enough room for the dark rock pro.

More about : cases efficient case cooling

December 4, 2011 1:00:06 PM

Get the HAF X or HAF 932 or even the Storm Enforcer
m
l
December 4, 2011 2:11:57 PM

Pricey case that HAF but its on my list as a last resort. Ive a meagre understanding of case cooling so i cant tell if these are good or not. ordered by price from lowest to highest:

Thermaltake Armor A60
Thermaltake Armor A60 AMD
Antec 900 II v3

Thermaltake Overseer RX1
Antec 1100
Antec 1200v3
CM HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP
CM HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3
CM HAF X RC-942-KKN1
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 2:33:28 PM

Your mixing mid towers and full towers......which is kinda like comparing a sports car and a SUV. If ya never had a full tower before the word H U G E will be an understatement. The Antec 902 V3 is a superb case and looks tiny compared to the 1200 or DF-85. If ya want a full tower, I'd strongly recommend the CP-850 PSU in either the 1200 or DF-85. It's a 10.0 jonnyguru rated PSU which runs extremely quiet and cool and is specifically made for those cases.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

The Corsair 500R was easily the best "buy" over the Balck Friday weekend at $80 ....now back up to its regular price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

m
l
December 4, 2011 5:45:24 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Your mixing mid towers and full towers......which is kinda like comparing a sports car and a SUV.

I have a Thermalright ifx-14 cooling my oc'ed 955 be. Since it JUST about fits into my mid tower CM690, I guess i'm in two minds about whether a mid tower will be sufficient to accommodate what seems to be a MAMMOTH dark rock pro cpu cooler.

Can't think of a way to approximate how the cooler attached to the cpu & m/b will fit into these cases.

Any suggestions?

p.s. i personally don't see the appeal of the 500r and have ruled out the df-85 mainly cos of price. only looking at cases <$140.
m
l
December 4, 2011 6:09:15 PM

I got a Lian Li PC-K59 on Cyber Monday for $60. The PC-K59 is still $100 now and the Corsair 500r is still $150 even with the MIR.

I liked the Lian Li more then and I still do at these prices, even moreso.

Both are mid tower and both are pretty freaking large.

Not sure about the Dark Rock cooler, though.

I can tell you that my PowerColor 6850 SCS3 fanless card has a huge heat sink and I have a Xigmatec 140MM fan on the side of the case blowing down on it and both fit without touching each other.

You can try to compare the size of your CPU cooler with that.

Its hard to believe with all the space in my Lian Li that something couldn't fit in it, but I don't have experience with super large aftermarket heat sinks.

- Edit - Also, I wanted to ask you kindly not to buy the HEC PSU. I would suggest you get one from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or another Seasonic brand like XFX instead.
m
l

Best solution

December 4, 2011 6:16:00 PM

The cooler is 166mm tall. That is about 6.5" tall. A fairly typical height.
Most cases are about 8" wide, so even acconting for the motherboard risers and some cable space you should be ok with most cases.
Where you may get in trouble, is with side fans.

If a case, regardless of it's size has at least two 120mm intake fans along with an equivalent outflow area(or vice versa), then you will have adequate cooling.

A perennial favorite is the Antec 300 illusion model at $70 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A perfectly good lower cost case might be the Antec 200 for $45.

The front panel usb3.0 is a tricky issue.
How will you connect it to your motherboard? Few motherboards have a usb3.0 socket into which the front panel header will be plugged.
Some cases include an extra long usb3.0 cable which is intended to exit the case in the rear and plug into the rear panel motherboard usb3.0 port.
I just leave my external usb3.0 backup drive plugged into the rear port and turn it on when I will do a backup.

If the case you really like does not have a usb configuration that suits you, then inexpensive 5/12 or 3 1/2 panels are cheap
December 4, 2011 6:34:03 PM

Raiddinn said:
Also, I wanted to ask you kindly not to buy the HEC PSU. I would suggest you get one from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or another Seasonic brand like XFX instead.

Oops...thats from when i was playing around with the prices. i'll be getting the modular Thermaltake 750w.

That k59 looks pretty good. And only $100! Gonna add it to my list now, thanks!
m
l
December 4, 2011 6:55:25 PM

geofelt said:

Where you may get in trouble, is with side fans.

You're absolutely right.

With the Antec 902 for e.g., the depth of the case is 218.44mm, minus the cooler height (166), minus a 35mm side fan, minus 1/2" for m/b mounting and socketed cpu, i'm left with around 5mm, dangerously close to not enough room.

For now, and the sake of certainty, i'll consider 1"(?) for extraneous variables and do the math with my (really long) list of cases. Looks like i'm on the hunt for a case with a depth of about 9". Thanks for putting that into perspective!

Quote:
If the case you really like does not have a usb configuration that suits you, then inexpensive 5/12 or 3 1/2 panels are cheap

That's a good point. I'll do a search and weight the price of the case against a front bay usb 3.0 device.
m
l
December 4, 2011 7:05:31 PM

jbseven said:
I'll be getting the modular Thermaltake 750w.

That k59 looks pretty good. And only $100! Gonna add it to my list now, thanks!

The Thermaltake is made by HEC, if I am not mistaken.

Here is a review for the Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

If you flip forward to page 7 it shows that the most that the reviewer could get from the PSU within specs was a little over 440w out of 750. If you look at the graphs further down the power is extremely dirty. Power variance means that your parts are in danger of damage.

It would be sad to see your processor, motherboard, RAM, or video card be killed by a bad power supply that can't deliver clean power.
m
l
December 4, 2011 7:45:51 PM

Raiddinn said:
It would be sad to see your processor, motherboard, RAM, or video card be killed by a bad power supply that can't deliver clean power.

I have a history of buying the cheapest possible 'branded' power supplies to squeeze as much performance out of my budget and this strategy hasn't really backfired as yet; not for my last four builds at least...

Have you got any in mind in the $100 range? I suppose its worth investing a few dollars more for the longevity of the build.
m
l
December 4, 2011 11:43:56 PM

The one I use, XFX Pro 650w Core can put out more than its stated wattage and is made by Seasonic and can be had for under $100. I got mine for $60 after MIR.

You shouldn't have a problem even getting that much power and modular from a tier 1 brand.

I used a tier 2 PSU back when I didn't know any better. It was 700w, but I doubt it could even put out 300w. One day I turned it off and it never wanted to come back on. I am glad it went out so gracefully. I think it was after only like 2 years too so that was like $25 a year.

In any event, whatever you go with I hope it works as well for you as your last PSUs have.
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:36:05 PM

jbseven said:
I have a history of buying the cheapest possible 'branded' power supplies to squeeze as much performance out of my budget and this strategy hasn't really backfired as yet; not for my last four builds at least...

Have you got any in mind in the $100 range? I suppose its worth investing a few dollars more for the longevity of the build.

My short list of quality psu's would include Seasonic, XFX, Antec,Corsair, and PC P&C.
Look for sales, You can reliably buy a 750w unit from any of them. There are several at <$100.
m
l
December 17, 2011 11:11:09 PM

Best answer selected by jbseven.
m
l
!