Win 7 x64 is slower than Win XP x86 ? Gaming

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I am trying to play Half Life 2 episodes on both Win 7 x64 and Win XP x86

Win 7 x64 has lots of screen lags and FPS drops... it is playable but FPS drops are annoying

Win XP x86 ... has no lags at all and fluently playable....no fps drops... very clear gaming

I m using sandy bridge system combined with ati radeon 5770.

Both OS I made clean installs of drivers and chipsets...

Is XP x86 better in gaming ?

Or should I perhaps try Win 7 x86 ?

bucknutty

Distinguished
Whats the CPU and ram? I have an old p4 3.4 with 4gigs of ddr2 and an old 8800gts in it. Under XP it ran really well and could play MW2 and all older games on medium-ish settings at 1280x1024 with no problems. With Windows 7 it did seem a little bit slower but it still worked well enough for what it is. Had to use Win7 86 because the old p4 is not 64 bit.

All my other systems are core 2 duo or core 2 quads. I have been updating them with new installs of windows 7 little by little and they all seem to run great I dont see any difference between how 3d games and under xp and win 7 run.

The one thing that seems to have the largest impact on Win7 is ram. It really seems to me 1-2 gigs is not enough, once you get to 3 or 4 then performace goes up drastically.

bucknutty

Distinguished

Actually when doing the win 7 ultimate install from the original MS DVD when the installer gets to the point where it asks you what you would like to install the 2 options are WIN7 x86 and WIN7 x64. X86 obviously being a throwback to old Intel cpu architecture, but that’s the terminology MS uses.

neieus

Distinguished
Upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit would solve your problem in the long run but if that's not an option right now you could always enable PAE (Physical Address Extension). This only applies to 32-bit OS's and allows the system to view the additional ram. Enabling this is pretty simple and only requires editing the boot.ini file and at the very last line of text add "/PAE" so that it looks like this

/fastdetect /PAE

Save the file then reboot the system and your system will now see all 4GB of ram.

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Sorry friends now I tell you the specs...

MSI Z68MA-G43
Sandy Bridge G840
1333 Mhz 4 Gb Ram
His HD 5770
500 W FPS Saga II

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Which driver may be causing problem ?

This is how I installed drivers in both OS's

Win XP x86 = Chipset from Motherboard Disc, Sound, GPU driver from GPU disc (stock version, I havent downloaded newest driver for x86 XP for HD 5770)
This runs better...

Win 7 x64 = Chipset from Mobo Disc, Sound, for Gpu I downloaded latest x64 Win 7 HD 5770 driver. However stock driver worked as fast as this.
Runs worse.....

This goes for Half Life 2 alone... This is still my favorite FPS game... I play over and over.

Yes I play the game in both OS in ultimate settings plus full AA enabled... in XP game runs with full FPS 60 HZ... (V-synced)

In Win 7 it runs fast but there are very annoying FPS drops when I turn the character, do something etc. despite being still playable.

(Tried also Dragon Age.. seems to run similar in both systems, more performance from x86 still it seems)

run-dll

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Thank you mate, I never knew this, good info