Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone actually know what's up with AMD Drivers?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Drivers
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2011 1:01:19 PM

Hi,

My question is stated in the title, my specs are in my sig and my 6950's are about to become paperwieghts - - but to clarify:

Does ANYone know what is causing the AMD driver updates to fail so horribly that when you google amd driver updates, 1/2 the things you see are people having problems? Same on AMD's forums and here as well.

This AMD Driver issue is getting to be very frustrating.

I have contacted AMD, my PC manufactuer and even requested a Papal visit for a laying on of hands regarding AMD, the Catalyst Control Center going crazy (CCC.exe jumping up and down in process explorer's working memory set) and the drivers for my pair of HD6950-2Mb cards - all without success.

BSOD's, fail installs resulting in more BSOD's and in some cases total system lockdown. I can see from the forum here that I am apparently not alone in wondering what gives??

I just read that 11.10 came out and immediatley following, many systems crashing.

I'm running 11.8 for the time being with average at best success. Nothing's overclocked, windows updates are up to date - I just don't get it?

Side note - I can't find a (to me) trustworthy new source for driversweeper now that it's no longer available where it was. Anyone know where I can re-acquire it?

So if you know what the potential roadblocks to success may be, can you please post and perhaps sticky it under "AMD Failing Drivers"?

Best Regards,
Rustyd

More about : amd drivers

October 8, 2011 1:57:29 PM

rolli59 said:
No I do not know but if I google nvidia driver update I get similar posts about crashes and overheating.
My trusted source for driver sweeper http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

i have never had any problems with nvidia drivers, plus their sli drivers are better when compared with amd,....then again i always remove the old drivers before installing the updated ones....so stop trolling
m
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
October 8, 2011 1:57:53 PM

No CF here, but I have no issues with my 5750. One of your cards dying maybe?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 373 À AMD
October 8, 2011 2:03:20 PM

nebun said:
i have never had any problems with nvidia drivers, plus their sli drivers are better when compared with amd,....then again i always remove the old drivers before installing the updated ones....so stop trolling

Just making a point! I have never had issues with drivers from either of the two manufacturers although if you google or search this forum you get multiple results with people having problems with both!
How many HD6950 crossfire setups do you think that is out there? They are not all having problems!
m
l
October 8, 2011 3:02:11 PM

No problem so far. Although I don't use cf. Both desktop and laptop driver works for the 5000 series no problem for me apart from one time where the resolution will not stay. Install an older driver, skip that one and install a newer update when it comes out solves the problem.

But of course the 6000 series drive can be different. But generalising AMD driver failed every time is not true.

Lets look for real solution here.

Did you turn off turbo usb 3.0 mode on the mobo. It is known that some Gigabyte board use the pcie bandwidth for usb 3.0 in turbo mode to give better performance and cause graphics card performance issue. Try to see if your mobo has that feature and turn it off in bios.

m
l
October 9, 2011 6:51:35 PM

rolli59 said:
No I do not know but if I google nvidia driver update I get similar posts about crashes and overheating.
My trusted source for driver sweeper http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

At Guru3d I see the following message regarding Driversweeper:

Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer.

So I am sorta wary as to where to locate an original copy. Had it on my old PC, but the drive crashed.
m
l
October 9, 2011 7:19:37 PM

Pyree said:
No problem so far. Although I don't use cf. Both desktop and laptop driver works for the 5000 series no problem for me apart from one time where the resolution will not stay. Install an older driver, skip that one and install a newer update when it comes out solves the problem.

But of course the 6000 series drive can be different. But generalising AMD driver failed every time is not true.

Lets look for real solution here.

Did you turn off turbo usb 3.0 mode on the mobo. It is known that some Gigabyte board use the pcie bandwidth for usb 3.0 in turbo mode to give better performance and cause graphics card performance issue. Try to see if your mobo has that feature and turn it off in bios.

Hi there,

No, it never occured to me to turn off Turbo USB 3 on the mobo. In fact, this is the very 1st time I have seen this mentioned anywhere and I have been looking everyday for the driver issues.

I'm going to have to trust you on this because, honestly, I am not sure how that affects the amd drivers/cards.

BTW - mobo is Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 and my system was purchased new in July.

Quote:
No CF here, but I have no issues with my 5750. One of your cards dying maybe?

Nope. Cards, Memory - all good. But I have to say: I am flat out terrified at the prospect of updating now with all of the horror stories regarding bad drivers.
Also - Heat is not an issue at all that I am aware of.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 373 À AMD
October 9, 2011 7:26:29 PM

rustyd79 said:
At Guru3d I see the following message regarding Driversweeper:

Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer.

So I am sorta wary as to where to locate an original copy. Had it on my old PC, but the drive crashed.

Just noticed that must because of the issues with win 7
m
l
October 10, 2011 2:55:00 PM

Thx for the link. Step 1 done ;) 

Now for steps 2,3,4 (Uninstalling, using driversweeper and reinstalling and the optional 5th step: reformat ;)  )
m
l
!