Closed Solved

3 affordable LCDs for eyefinity in portait mode?

Hello,
Just got my hd 6990. Might as well go all the way, but I dont want to reaaaly break the bank. Also, I dont want to use my whole room. Recommendations appreciated. Would TN lcds be ok?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about affordable lcds eyefinity portait mode
  1. how much is a"affordable"
  2. Hello Walsterdoomit;

TN LED LCDs would be fine - especially at keeping the total price down.
    One option would be 3 20" 1600x900 models for an effective 2700x1600" in portrait.
    Dell P2011H 20" LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor $175 or $525 for a set.
    The set of 3 should span about 37" on your desk.
  3. For a 3240x1920 effective resolution:
    Dell P2211H 21.5" LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor $190 or $570 for a set.
    Also about 37" on your desk.

And a DisplayPort to DVI Video Adapter Converter or Mini DisplayPort to DVI Video Adapter Converterif you need one.
  4. I guess I should have added between $135 to $200 each LCD. Thanks! for the replies so far. I am looking into them.
  5. 9_breaker, that LCD has a rounded bottom which would be bad for portrait mode. Nice deal for non portrait mode tho, thanks.

WR2, can you (or someone) explain the display port, or post a link that explains it? Everything I find just confuses me more. The 6990 comes with like 4 different adapters. ONE of each type. Is there a "best" route that you can recommend? It would be great to have 3 of the same LCDs with 3 of the same adapters, no? Very confusing.

The p2211 looks like an awesome deal, but no display port input. So would I need 3 of the DVI adapters / converters?
  6. I think your 6990 should has 1 DVI and 4 mini Displayports?
    You could use 1 DVI, and the mini Displayport to DVI that should come in your cards accessory pack.

And it looks like you'll need at least 1 active miniDP to DVI adapter. (not the passive models I linked above).
    http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2449/ss581.jpg
  7. Yes it is the saphire hd 6990, 1 and 4. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd6990/2.htm So, I would use the single DVI and 2 mini ports to dvi converters? Thanks so much for your replies!
  8. Oh yeah, i forgot to ask about active vs. passive. I guess this is the part that is sending me into confusion, mostly.
  9. I had to double check as well
    From the AMD Website:
    • A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
    • To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).
  10. Could I assume, that I need the single DVI, one passive converter, and one active converter? Or both active, both passive. I clicked on the chart you linked, and looked at the replies. There is a lot of confusion there as well. My 6990 tho, is newer, and it is easier, than the older design of the 5870. Its just the 4 minis. Which adapters are needed for 3 or 4 lcds? OK I will wait for some replies. Its just all exciting!
  11. Awesome WR2 that is the best answer, to THAT question. I think I have the adapter thing nailed! Still looks as though you have the LCD answer nailed as well! I like the p2211h is the answer! Its VERY nice, does portrait mode with small bezel, energy star, and I love my dell LCDs. Ill wait for more input.
  12. Best answer
    I needed to confirm there was an active adapter in the accessory pack and it looks like there is one active and one passive.
    So your connections would be 1 DVI, 1 active from the accessory pack and 1 active ordered online.
  13. Yup, there you go. Just as WR2 points out.
  14. Best answer selected by Walsterdoomit.
  15. Thanks WR2. Best answer for you! :bounce: Awesome. :sol:
  16. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon HD Graphics Product