Gtx 470 sli vs. gtx 580

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I currently own a single, EVGA GTX 470. It runs well. I was considering buying a second one (if it can be found) to run in SLI mode.

I have also been reading great things about the GTX 580.

One is obviously a much cheaper option (2nd 470) than the other (580), but I'd like to know if there are any performance comparisons between the different set ups. Does anyone have a reliable source for such info?

I have enough power, cooling, etc., to run either set up, so please don't ask that question; and I play my games on 1920 x 1080. I am looking to be prepared to take full advantage of maxed settings on games like BF3, and others coming in 2012. Thanks for your help!

monsta

Splendid
I would consider getting another 470 and going SLI over the 580 , the performance of the 470 in SLI will be greater than a single 580.
You could always find one on ebay. It will also be a cheaper option for you at this present time....the only drawback is that it will be the hotter option.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for the quick replies. According to those tests, the dual 470's definitely outperform the 580.

I agree with you, Monsta, in that the heat may be a problem. The new ones are cooled nicely. I don't have the cash to upgrade to 2 570's though. :-(

I'll keep poking around here until I'm 100% certain.

You can go to the anandtech bench app to compare the cards.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/312?vs=305

Like most benchmarks, it will show GTX470 sli to show up very well vs GTX580.

What benchmarks do not show is the effects of microstuttering with dual gpu's which can be very annoying.
I suspect that despite the benchmarks, you will have a better game experience with a single great card.

Your GTX470 is still a good card which will fetch a decent price on e-bay.
Did you include that in your cost calculations?

Regardless, consider delaying your upgrade to 1Q 2012 when the new 28nm cards from both AMD and Nvidia are scheduled to appear.

TRENDING THREADS