My thoughts on the PLAYSTATION 3

Apparantly, we have to wait a year for the PS3. There are two thoughts
I have on this:

On one hand, it's kind of a long time to wait,, but..

On the other hand, it'll give another year of life to the PS2, which is
still cranking out great games, and the games just keep getting better
and better.

I think the PS2 has AT LEAST another GOOD year of life left. Maybe
five: after all, I went to Walmart today, and there weren't many, but
there are STILL brand new (2005) games on the shelves...
8 answers Last reply
More about thoughts playstation

    > On one hand, it's kind of a long time to wait,, but..
    >
    > On the other hand, it'll give another year of life to the PS2, which is
    > still cranking out great games, and the games just keep getting better
    > and better.
    >
    > I think the PS2 has AT LEAST another GOOD year of life left. Maybe
    > five: after all, I went to Walmart today, and there weren't many, but
    > there are STILL brand new (2005) games on the shelves...

    Shouldnt get into this already, but here goes.

    If Microsoft manage to release the NEXTBOX ages before Sony, then I think
    the PS3 will struggle initially to have the same impact as the PS2 did. THe
    XBOX is widely accepted as the most powerful of the existing gen consoles,
    and most reviews state that the XBOX Is superior with regards to multi
    platform console titles...XBOX 2, if priced right, may get a chance to build
    a huge marketshare before the PS3 hits shelves.

    On the other hand...
    If MS release the NEXTBOX early, it gives the PS3 time I suppose to try and
    pack a much more powerful punch hardware wise, it will know what it has to
    beat. I think it will need some kick ass AAA+ titles at launch too.

    Nintnedo....erm, well, I am a loyal Nintendo Fan, always have been. I still
    think they make the best games, but I am a realist. I do not think they are
    to pose any kind of threat to either the PS3 or XBOX2. I think the
    Revolution will be trying to create its own niche mini market.

    G.

    "G" <G@G.COM> wrote in message
    >> On one hand, it's kind of a long time to wait,, but..
    >>
    >> On the other hand, it'll give another year of life to the PS2, which is
    >> still cranking out great games, and the games just keep getting better
    >> and better.
    >>
    >> I think the PS2 has AT LEAST another GOOD year of life left. Maybe
    >> five: after all, I went to Walmart today, and there weren't many, but
    >> there are STILL brand new (2005) games on the shelves...
    >

    > Shouldnt get into this already, but here goes.
    >
    > If Microsoft manage to release the NEXTBOX ages before Sony, then I think
    > the PS3 will struggle initially to have the same impact as the PS2 did.
    > THe XBOX is widely accepted as the most powerful of the existing gen
    > consoles, and most reviews state that the XBOX Is superior with regards to
    > multi platform console titles...XBOX 2, if priced right, may get a chance
    > to build a huge marketshare before the PS3 hits shelves.
    >
    > On the other hand...
    > If MS release the NEXTBOX early, it gives the PS3 time I suppose to try
    > and pack a much more powerful punch hardware wise, it will know what it
    > has to beat. I think it will need some kick ass AAA+ titles at launch
    > too.

    As far as I know (which honestly isn't a lot) the PS3 is already supposed to
    be more powerful than the nextbox, according to developers.

    Tommy

    Tommy Stenberg wrote:
    > As far as I know (which honestly isn't a lot) the PS3 is already
    supposed to
    > be more powerful than the nextbox, according to developers.
    >
    > Tommy

    Yeah... I think it was someone from EA who said they expect the PS3 to
    have a lot more under the hood.

    --
    Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
    http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

    Tommy Stenberg wrote:

    > As far as I know (which honestly isn't a lot) the PS3 is already
    supposed to
    > be more powerful than the nextbox, according to developers.
    >
    > Tommy

    That doesn't mean anything: The X-box is "supposedly", allegedly "more
    powerful" than the Playstation 2, yet the PS2 is SO FAR AHEAD of Xbox,
    SO much more popular, that it shouldn't be mentioned in the same
    sentence.

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > As always, "most powerful" doesn't mean diddly. Both the Saturn and
    the
    > Dreamcast were released before the PS1/PS2 respectively, and arguably
    had
    > superior technology...

    Huh?? The Saturn More powerful than the Playstation? I don't THINK so..

    The Dreamcast more powerful than the Playstation 2? Ha! I don't THINK
    so...

    Argueably? I'd argue against it!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    G <G@g.com> wrote:

    > Shouldnt get into this already, but here goes.

    > If Microsoft manage to release the NEXTBOX ages before Sony, then I think
    > the PS3 will struggle initially to have the same impact as the PS2 did. THe
    > XBOX is widely accepted as the most powerful of the existing gen consoles,
    > and most reviews state that the XBOX Is superior with regards to multi
    > platform console titles...XBOX 2, if priced right, may get a chance to build
    > a huge marketshare before the PS3 hits shelves.

    Microsoft is supposedly going to release Xbox360 in the US late 2005 (Oct.
    or Nov?) PS3 won't come out in Japan until next year, with the US release
    following 3 or 4 months after that.

    I don't know how this will affect PS3, but if you consider history,
    neither the PS1 or PS2 were the first consoles released for their
    respective generations, but Sony unquestionably dominated in both.

    If the current information is correct, then Microsoft will have a one year
    lead over the PS3. They better make the best of it.

    As always, "most powerful" doesn't mean diddly. Both the Saturn and the
    Dreamcast were released before the PS1/PS2 respectively, and arguably had
    superior technology...yet when the Playstation came out, it quickly
    dominated the market. Microsoft has to agressively market XBox360 and its
    games to the market when they first come out. Once PS3 comes out,
    Microsoft will hopefully be in a position to drop its price - continuing
    its aggressive stance against Sony. If they fail to do this, Sony will
    most likely dominate the market again. Microsoft may not be able to
    topple Sony this generation, but they most definitely need to narrow the
    gap between Playstation and XBox.

    > On the other hand...
    > If MS release the NEXTBOX early, it gives the PS3 time I suppose to try and
    > pack a much more powerful punch hardware wise, it will know what it has to
    > beat. I think it will need some kick ass AAA+ titles at launch too.

    If Sony's looking at a 2006 release of PS3, they've probably got the
    hardware 95% finalized by this point anyways. It takes awhile to crank up
    manfuacturing - not to mention the fact that it takes awhile to develop
    the games for launch day. If Microsoft is ~6-7 months from release, their
    hardware has probably been finalized for months. About the only things I
    can see the companies changing at this point would be the media drive -
    DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray - and will they be able to play movies?

    Remember, it takes time to develop the games, and too much mucking with
    the hardware will affect the developers and their release dates.

    > Nintnedo....erm, well, I am a loyal Nintendo Fan, always have been. I still
    > think they make the best games, but I am a realist. I do not think they are
    > to pose any kind of threat to either the PS3 or XBOX2. I think the
    > Revolution will be trying to create its own niche mini market.

    So long as Nintendo caters to their niche market, they'll do fine.

    I do worry about them, though. The DS is a huge disappointment, and now
    there are rumors of a "Game Boy Advance 2" being released for Christmas.
    This sort of confusion and division of their customerbase is the last
    thing Nintendo needs in the face of the PSP which so far seems to have the
    superior game library - and still has the potential to be more than "just
    a game machine".
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > As always, "most powerful" doesn't mean diddly. Both the Saturn and the
    > Dreamcast were released before the PS1/PS2 respectively, and arguably had
    > superior technology...yet when the Playstation came out, it quickly
    > dominated the market.

    I don't think anyone would argue that the Dreamcast was superior in
    technology to the PS2. I loved the Dreamcast, but it couldn't match the
    PS2's graphics, especially now.

    RnR Lesnar
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in message

    > Doug Jacobs wrote:
    >

    >> As always, "most powerful" doesn't mean diddly. Both the Saturn and
    > the
    >> Dreamcast were released before the PS1/PS2 respectively, and arguably
    > had
    >> superior technology...
    >
    > Huh?? The Saturn More powerful than the Playstation? I don't THINK so..

    Techinically there is no question the Saturn was in fact more powerful than
    the PS1.
    Where Sega screwed the pooch was trying to get the hardware to process
    together.

    > The Dreamcast more powerful than the Playstation 2? Ha! I don't THINK
    > so...
    >
    > Argueably? I'd argue against it!

    I don't know about the DC but with the Saturn you'd lose the agruement

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Video Games Product