Digital camera comparison (reposted as a new thread)

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 30, 2005 11:50:26 PM

Rosanne Cleveland-King wote:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp
> found this site to compare digital cameras side by side. You have
> the capability to choose each one you want to compare. I was
> comparing the Fuji Finepix F10 and the Nikon Coolpix S1, as
> I am looking for a super small camera that is fast and has a large
> viewfinder.

I have just been doing exactly the same. With its low light capability, the
FinePix F10 stands out from a bunch of super small cameras that are fast and
have large viewfinders, and is a truly remarkable pocket-sized camera. I
guess you probably have come across this one already:
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Fujifilm-FineP...
Look up photo samples, especially shot hand held in the evening, from this
camera (not on this site), and be amazed.

--
Lin Chung.
[The Water Margins of Liang Shan Po were at the time of the Sung dynasty.

Lin Chung wrote:
> Rosanne Cleveland-King wote:
> > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp
> > found this site to compare digital cameras side by side. You have
> > the capability to choose each one you want to compare. I was
> > comparing the Fuji Finepix F10 and the Nikon Coolpix S1, as
> > I am looking for a super small camera that is fast and has a large
> > viewfinder.
> I have just been doing exactly the same. With its low light capability,
> the FinePix F10 stands out from a bunch of super small cameras
> that are fast and have large viewfinders, and is a truly remarkable
> pocket-sized camera....
> http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Fujifilm-FineP...

For those not convinced the power of F10 at ISO 1600, i.e. shooting hand
held at night time without using flash, here are some stills from Canon
SD200, Canon SD400, Fuji F10 and Nikon Coolpix 7900:
http://www.pbase.com/koo22/ultra_compact_test_shots
My search for a pocketable all weather 'Personal Photographic Assistant' has
come to an end. Probably!?

--
Lin Chung.
[The Water Margins of Liang Shan Po were at the time of the Sung dynasty.
Replace that with "ntlworld" for emails.]
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:54:55 PM

"Lin Chung" <lin.chung@the.Water.Margin.com> writes:
> For those not convinced the power of F10 at ISO 1600, i.e. shooting hand
> held at night time without using flash, here are some stills from Canon
> SD200, Canon SD400, Fuji F10 and Nikon Coolpix 7900:
> http://www.pbase.com/koo22/ultra_compact_test_shots

Definitely noisy in the full sized image, but not bad at all at web
size. Do you have comparable 1600-speed shots from the other cameras?
May 1, 2005 9:54:55 PM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:54:54 GMT, Lin Chung wrote:

> For those not convinced the power of F10 at ISO 1600, i.e. shooting hand
> held at night time without using flash, here are some stills from Canon
> SD200, Canon SD400, Fuji F10 and Nikon Coolpix 7900:
> http://www.pbase.com/koo22/ultra_compact_test_shots
> My search for a pocketable all weather 'Personal Photographic Assistant' has
> come to an end. Probably!?

Other than having 6mp vs. the Finepix Z1's 5mp, how else does the
F10 differ from it? In a brief mention of it I see only that the Z1
is 18.3 mm thin (no mention of the F10's dimensions) and that they
both were designed to be more effective at high ISOs. If their
sensors are the same size, the Z1 might have a bit less noise.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:22:39 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Lin Chung writes:
> > For those not convinced the power of F10 at ISO 1600, i.e. shooting
> > hand held at night time without using flash, here are some stills from
> > Canon SD200, Canon SD400, Fuji F10 and Nikon Coolpix 7900:
> > http://www.pbase.com/koo22/ultra_compact_test_shots
> Definitely noisy in the full sized image, but not bad at all at web
> size. Do you have comparable 1600-speed shots from the other cameras?

Not with those in the link but with a D70!
http://ogre.c.fiw-web.net/review/f10/iso.html (in Japanese but self
explanatory)

--
Lin Chung.
[The Water Margins of Liang Shan Po were at the time of the Sung dynasty.
Replace that with "ntlworld" for emails.]
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:34:14 AM

ASAAR wrote:
> Lin Chung wrote:
> > For those not convinced the power of F10 at ISO 1600, i.e. shooting
> > hand held at night time without using flash, here are some stills from
> > Canon SD200, Canon SD400, Fuji F10 and Nikon Coolpix 7900:
> > http://www.pbase.com/koo22/ultra_compact_test_shots
> Other than having 6mp vs. the Finepix Z1's 5mp, how else does the
> F10 differ from it? In a brief mention of it I see only that the Z1
> is 18.3 mm thin (no mention of the F10's dimensions) and that they
> both were designed to be more effective at high ISOs. If their
> sensors are the same size, the Z1 might have a bit less noise.

Z1 has a 1/2.5" sensor. This is confirmed in a review/report of Z1 from
Japan, where the new camera was released on 2005-04-25.
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/reviews/fuji/fuji...
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle/articles/0504/25/new... (in
Japanese). The description of the SuperCCD is at the start of the first
paragraph on page 3.

--
!