Turning off the GPU

lasue

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I was wondering if it's possible to cut the power from the GPU through some software or Vista setting. So... is it? :D

My reason for asking is that I'd like to have a convenient way to turn off the fans of my GPU every now and then. I don't want to get rid of my GPU completely, ie. I don't want to remove it from the case. It's just that I want it to be quiet at some times while other times it doesn't matter. It's fine if the solution lets me fall back on the integrated GPU while the main GPU is disabled.

So how are you going to get a picture to your screen? You going to be hot swapping cables between the integrated and discrete plus edit BIOS settings? If you just shut down the fans the card will overheat and die!
There is a solution!!! A fanless GPU! http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600029795&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

lasue

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
A fanless GPU would be nice, but I won't be buying a new GPU atm. I wan't to switch easily between my noisy GPU and a less noisy GPU depending on what I'm doing.

lasue

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Yeah, I'll take a look at the drivers. What other software options are there? The GPU was quite noisy when it was new, and I recently cleaned it, too. It's a Point of View 9800 GTX. Well, it's relatively noisy, not like a vacuum cleaner, but the difference in noise compared to the on-board GPU is astonishing. If the GTX is disabled I can't tell whether the PC is on or off by listening.